SXSW: Movies You HAVE to See, According to My Film Major Boyfriend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Do you love the art of cinema and so happen to have a film pass to SXSW? I don’t but my boyfriend does! He is an aspiring director and Radio-Television-Film major here at the University of Texas at Austin. As such, he has introduced me to the world of cinema and recommends that you catch these movies coming out of SXSW 2023.

If a title interests you, click the hyperlink to visit the IMDb page!

late Night With The devil

Initial release: March 10, 2023

“A live television broadcast in 1977 goes horribly wrong, unloosing evil into the nation’s living rooms.”

I’m a Virgo

Releases: March 11, 2023, on Amazon Prime (Television show)

“Follows a 13-foot-tall Black man who lives in Oakland, CA.”

The Wrath of Becky

Initial Release: September 15, 2023

“After living off the grid for two years, Becky finds herself going toe to toe against Darryl, the leader of a fascist organization, on the eve of an organized attack.”

The ordinaries

Releases: March 30, 2023

“Have you ever felt like a Supporting Character in your own life? What if you really are one…?”

Problemista

Initial Release: March 13, 2023

“Alejandro, an aspiring toy designer from El Salvador, struggling to bring his unusual ideas to life in NY. As time runs out on his work visa, a job helping an erratic art world outcast becomes his only hope.”

Hail Mary

Initial Release: March 13, 2023

“In this modern-day retelling of the Mary and Joseph story, pregnant teenager MARIA needs hustler/carpenter JOSE to help her cross the Mexico-US border before she’s killed by an otherworldy monster named BAAL, who will stop at nothing to prevent her baby from being born.”

Down low

Initial Release: March 11, 2023

“A deeply repressed man, the uninhibited young man that gives him a happy ending, and all the lives they ruin along the way.”

Theater Camp

Initial Release: January 21, 2023

“The eccentric staff of a rundown theater camp in upstate New York, as they band together with the beloved founder’s bro-y son to keep the camp afloat, when she falls into a coma right before the summer session is set to begin.”

I used to be funny

Initial Release: March 13, 2023

“Sam, a stand-up comedian struggling with PTSD, weighs whether or not to join the search for a missing teenage girl she used to nanny.”

Chronicles of a wandering saint

Initial Release: March 12, 2023

“In a tiny rural village in Argentina, Rita Lopez, a pious yet insatiably competitive woman, discovers that staging a miracle could be her ticket to sainthood.”

Justice Morris (she/her) is a second-year history and Mexican American Latino Studies double major at the University of Texas at Austin. She is also pursuing a Core Texts and Ideas certificate. Justice is a passionate writer; she enjoys sharing her thoughts on the arts, life as a college student, and her cultural experiences as a Chicana woman. You can find more of her work in The Liberator, the official publication of the College of Liberal Arts.