barbie and oppenheimer
barbie and oppenheimer
Warner Bros. / Universal Pictures

Surviving Opening Weekend Of Barbenheimer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.
barbie and oppenheimer
Warner Bros. / Universal Pictures

The summer I worked in a movie theater…

On the eve of cinema’s most anticipated double feature, I found myself paralyzed with fear. I would be working July 20, vulnerable to the flocks of blushing pinks and glitter, with their muted, cool grey counterparts, in the theater next to theirs. With my fate sealed, I entered work. The night shift beckoned, and I answered its call. I took a deep breath as I signed onto my register, said a silent prayer, and then the crowds came with vigor. The lines were bursting out of the lobby doors! Our souvenir Barbie buckets sold like hotcakes, they were gone within mere days, not weeks, compared to our other merchandise. The hours dragged on, and yet, they passed within the blink of an eye. By the end of the night, my feet ached immensely, and my hands had dealt a lifetime’s worth of cash.

On a sincere note, I found myself in awe of the response to this odd cinematic pairing. Behind all the memes about these two movies, the love for film as an art and source of entertainment shined. People wore elaborate outfits, yes, but they also adorned smiles and curiosity in their eyes. I worked Barbenheimer weekend and came out of it victorious, as I took home posters of both respective movies. I survived!

Justice Morris (she/her) is a second-year history and Mexican American Latino Studies double major at the University of Texas at Austin. She is also pursuing a Core Texts and Ideas certificate. Justice is a passionate writer; she enjoys sharing her thoughts on the arts, life as a college student, and her cultural experiences as a Chicana woman. You can find more of her work in The Liberator, the official publication of the College of Liberal Arts.