This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

This whole semester, I’ve dreaded group projects. I’m an independent person who struggles with sharing and incorporating everyone’s ideas. I’ve always preferred to do projects on my own because I know my thinking process, my time management, and how I operate. Working with other people has been stressful, but if you’re like me, I have a few tips for you!!

1. Get acclimated to everyone

Start off with a group chat. Get to know your group members rather than just knowing their names. Ask how they feel about the class and brainstorm ideas. Learn each other’s style and how they prefer to do things.

2. Establish deadlines and responsibilities 

Once you have gotten to know your group members, set deadlines and tasks for each group member to follow. Doing this will help everyone stay on top of their set task. This will eliminate the stress of waiting for a group member to do their part. 

3. Schedule Zoom or in-person meetings

Meet with your group regularly to make sure everyone is following suit. This is a check-in for the whole group to see the progress of the project. It can be conflicting when a group member can’t make it, but you have to keep an open mind and fingers crossed they do what has been asked of them. 

4. Be a team player 

I understand that it’s hard, but you have to keep an open mind. Being in a group requires everyone to put forth the effort. If you are trying your best to do your best then that’s all that matters. 

Try your best to work as a team even if you are independent. It’s okay to not want to work with others, but if it is required you have to put aside your pride. Good luck surviving your group projects! I know I have pushed through mine!

Hi I'm Dajaiya I also go by DJ. I am UT 26 so I'm a freshman yayy. I enjoy writing short stories, spoken word, and empowering messages. I aspire to inspire others and change the world for the better. IG: @_.mulann._