Student Government Elections: You Ought to Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

This humble writer has to admit she, like many other UT students, started noticing changes around campus during Student Government election season. It gets increasingly difficult to walk through West Mall without running into campaign teams handing out fliers and holding bold-lettered signs. There are a plethora of positions to be filled and a multitude of eager Longhorns vying to fill them; it could disorient even the most informed person. Furthermore, the recent news coverage about candidate disqualifications has more and more Collegiettes sitting up in their chairs. Who’s running? Which candidates are disqualified and why? Most importantly, what do the remaining teams have to offer the 40 Acres? Her Campus Texas takes a closer look at the 2012 Student Government elections. 

1. Chances are, you’ve heard of this: presidential candidate Madison Gardner and running mate Antonio Guevara were disqualified Feb. 22 for associating their campaign with that of a candidate running for another position, according to the Daily Texan.

Only two days earlier the Texan reported that candidates Yaman Desai and Whitney Langston withdrew their campaign after it was discovered an agent of their campaign misrepresented herself as an “official University entity” in an attempt to gain information from Gardner and Guevara.

Then, the Student Government executive elections were postponed Feb. 29 for a minimum of two weeks after Gardner and Guevara filed a lawsuit against the University, claiming their disqualification breaches their First Amendment rights. The Horn revealed recently that this was the first time since 1997 that an executive team has been disqualified. 

“I think it’s a shame that students would go to such lengths to try and win an election this way. If they succeed and are put back in the election, it’s going to be cheapened. Their whole term will be marked by how they got there and not why they are there,” said advertising and photojournalism junior Jon Winton. 

2. Two executive alliances remain: “Big John” Lawler and Terrence Maas, and Thor Lund and Wills Brown. Along with diverse slogans, platforms, and promises, each team brings something wildly contrasting to the political table. Lawler, an urban studies major, and Maas, a computer science major, present a forward-thinking and comprehensive platform that focuses on issues ranging from LGBTQA rights to academic funding ideas. Lund and Brown, engineering and psychology honors majors, respectively, approach their campaign with humor and a refreshing take on student political involvement. 

3. Depending on what rouses your political spirit, the campaigns detail a variety of aims for their potential presidency. Innovative platforms range from Lawler-Mass’ idea to sell beer at UT Austin sporting events to raise academic funds to Lund-Brown’s GPS-tracking bus app for smart phones. Safety concerns have caused both teams to promise to improve lighting in West Campus and other areas, and a proposed campus farmer’s market (Lawler-Mass) is comparable in convenience to Lund-Brown’s pledge to make the PCL a 24-hour study spot. Both of the teams maintain websites detailing their platforms with more specificity.

4. It’s important to be involved! It’s easy to get caught up in the idea that Student Government doesn’t have as much say in campus life and politics as one would like to think, but forward-thinking candidates and students are doing their best to change that image. History freshman Sara Balogopal explained her view to Her Campus Texas.

“I think voting for Student Government is important because you need representatives who will work toward the goals you wish to see implemented. They work closely with the University to make UT better for us, so we need to make sure the positions are filled by the right people.” 

Ultimately, as students, we’re investing time in our college experience. Whether we are running for office or voting for it, following coverage religiously or frantically searching for candidate info an hour before online voting closes, having an opinion matters. Plus, experience as a voting student can influence viewpoints and actions both on Capitol Hill and in life after college. Not to mention, gaining validation by wearing an “I Voted” sticker all day is practically reason enough to vote. Go participate! 

Photos:
John Lawler & Terrence Maas
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=274473059293218&set=a.27260009281…
Thor Lund & Wills Brown
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=246924828722442&set=a.24692480872…
Student Government Logo
http://utsg.org/

Kenyatta Giddings is a double major in Broadcast Journalism and Radio-Television-Film at the University of Texas at Austin. She's a former toddler in a tiara from Dallas, Texas and enjoys recording voiceovers for Radio Disney, writing for various publications, and contributing her production and on-camera talents to an array of programs. In her spare time Kenyatta consumes herself with all things vintage shopping, entertainment media, and brunch. Follow her pursuit for fabulosity on Twitter @kenyattapinata and her favorite online magazine @HerCampusTexas.