Girl Holding Her Knees
Girl Holding Her Knees
Breanna Coon / Her Campus
Wellness > Mental Health

Starting the Conversation on Suicide Prevention

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

We still don’t talk about it. 

When someone brings it up, we try to change the subject. 

We avoid it. It’s an uncomfortable topic. 

But it came up when Robin Williams died. Avicii. Chester Bennington.

“Check in on your friends.”

“Take care of yourself.”

“Don’t be afraid to speak up.”

Like a tidal wave, there were surges to spread awareness on suicide and mental health. Another wave hit more recently with World Suicide Prevention Day. But just as quickly as these waves came, they receded as more recent news gained people’s interest. The problem is that those brief pushes to start the conversation on mental health are not enough. Suicide prevention requires so much more than that, so much more than just a day, a week, or even a month. 

According to the National Alliance on Mental Illness, suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the nation, and the second for people aged 10-34. Other leading causes of death have decreased with time and medical advancement, yet the overall suicide rate has increased by 31 percent since 2001.  

America has a silent killer, which is why it’s so important that we keep the conversation going globally, nationally, in schools, and between friends and family. Start with checking in on your loved ones and continue to do so. If you notice they’re going through a hard time, ask them to hang out. Go watch a movie. Take a walk. Eat dinner. A friend struggling with suicidal thoughts isn’t outside of your scope. You don’t have to back off and leave it to the professionals. You can still offer your shoulder to rest on. They’re not hopeless, and they’re definitely not unreachable. You can still help. If you feel like you can’t provide that support for someone, find someone who can. 

That being said, don’t forget to take care of yourself. Helping someone struggling with mental illness can be hard and draining. Life gets hard. While checking on others, make sure you’re okay too. Here are some ways you can do that: 

• Make a list of the good things in your life. 

• Write a love letter to yourself. 

• Sit down and allow yourself to feel and accept your emotions. 

• Treat yourself to something, like your favorite meal. 

• Pamper yourself. Have a relaxation day. 

• If you take any medication, take it on time. 

• Do a small productive task like picking up your dirty laundry or throwing away empty bottles in your room. 

• Create a happy playlist. 

• Sometimes, it’s okay to do nothing. 

World Suicide Prevention Day needs to be every day. Remind your loved ones that they aren’t alone, and remember that you aren’t alone either. 

group of women facing backwards
Becca Tapert on Unsplash

Here are a list of resources available: 

• Behavior Concerns Advice Line: express concerns about someone you know by calling 512-232-5050 or submitting an online form 

• Seize the Awkward: offers numerous resources on how to help others on their website, access the Crisis Text Line by texting SEIZE to 741741 

• The Trevor Project: offers support to LGBTQ+ youth with online resources, a 24/7 crisis line at 1-800-488-7386, a 24/7 text line by texting START to 678678, and a 24/7 live-chat service on their website 

Cristina is a freshman majoring in Psychology (BA) at UT Austin. She loves people, animals, and anything cute! In her free time, you can find her practicing the piano or huddled up in her bed watching Hulu.
Megan Turner is studying Spanish and Political Communication at the University of Texas at Austin. In her free time she enjoys long-distance running, painting, and spending time with friends.