This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

With the current news cycle, it’s essentially unavoidable to be concerned about your own and your close friends’ and families’ health. While during a pandemic there are major changes that you should follow to help decrease the spread of disease; there are also changes that you can make in your day to day routines to live a healthier life.

Read more about changes to follow during the COVID-19 spread.

Some of these suggestions fall under what the CDC also recommends currently to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, which shows you how important these things can be in your everyday life.

Drink Water

Water is crucial to our survival. It has many more benefits besides keep you hydrated. Drinking enough water regularly helps keep your mucus membranes moist which allows them to help fight infections such as germs that pass through your nostrils. It also helps you maintain your body temperature, transport nutrients throughout your body, and it can help your gastrointestinal tract stay healthy. So grab that water bottle and drink up!

Wash Your Hands

Wash your hands, people! I can’t believe how many adults do not wash their hands regularly, or even after they use the restroom. Your hands contain millions of bacteria, and while some are good for you,some could be dangerous to you or others you interact with. If you don’t have access to soap and water then use hand sanitizer! Carry some on your keys, purse, or backpack so you’re never left without a way to clean your hands!

Eat Your Veggies

I know I’m going to sound like your mom, but eat your veggies! It’s common sense honestly, vegetables have a lot of nutrients and can help you maintain healthy blood pressure and cholesterol level if you reach for these instead of empty calorie snacks when you’re hungry.

Don’t Touch Your Face

Seriously, don’t do it. I know a lot of us have become acutely aware of how much we touch our faces with the COVID-19 outbreak, but this is a good rule to follow all year round because it also applies to things like the flu and the common cold. If you absolutely must touch your face then wash your hands before you do and again after, or use a tissue to scratch that itch on your nose!

Sanitize Your Phone Daily

I’ve been doing this for years honestly. You can use a Clorox wipe to wipe down your phone, just be sure to be careful of any ports on your phone and be sure the wipe is wrung out before you use it on your phone, so that you don’t get too much liquid on your phone. This also works for other electronics if you’re using them in typically dirty places such as the library, a cafe or in lecture halls. Seriously, think about how often those desks are probably cleaned. *shudders*

Izabella is a transfer student studying journalism at UT with an interest in social justice reporting. She enjoys reading, photography, podcasts, and cuddling with her dog, Jinxx.
Megan Turner is studying Spanish and Political Communication at the University of Texas at Austin. In her free time she enjoys long-distance running, painting, and spending time with friends.