Scared Straight: Get Spooked at the House of Torment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

It’s that time of year again. In a couple of days it’ll be Halloween, a day that makes adopting a different persona socially acceptable for all. Goblins, ghosts, zombies, witches and the occasional PSY impostor are all expected to make frightening appearances this year. With this being the year 2012 we find ourselves getting closer to the “end of days,” so what better way to spend these last few months than experiencing thrills and mayhem at the House of Torment?
Austin’s largest multi-level haunted house, House of Torment, has given Central Texas thrill-seekers a fright for the last decade. According to the Travel Channel, House of Torment is one of the “scariest haunted houses in America,” and this year it plans to live up to the hype. Located outside of Highland Mall, House of Torment has opened its doors until Nov. 3 this fall. In hopes of living up to its name, the haunted house will give one last thrill before expanding its home at an undisclosed location in 2013.

For its final Halloween season at the mall site, House of Torment is offering three different frightening attractions: The Awakening, The Cursed: Howling Inside and The Slidell Family Slaughterhouse. Not only will the house terrorize Austinites with its apocalyptic theme, it is expected to deliver it’s most terrifying haunt to date!

Cursed: The Howling
The 7th century Mayan calendar is expected to end December 2012–signaling the end of time as we know it. Yikes! This portion of the house recreates an ancient Mayan temple full of werewolves, pirates, native savages, spiders, and more all running through the jungle.

The Awakening
Despite the odds, some humans have survived the acoployspe–well sort of. The post-apocalyptic themed portion of the house is inhabited by zombies–humans who’ve survived–who must fight until death in an alien invasion. Basically, unimaginable fiends and fouls have now been awakened to roam the earth.

The Slaughterhouse: Fresh Meat!
If the name doesn’t give it a way already you should expect meat cleavers, chain saws and total carnage. Decapitated bodies are common, along with actors drenched in blood and heads hanging from the ceiling. Totes fun right?

For Jackie Kuenstler, a junior RTF and journalism double major, one house stood out above the rest when it came down to thrills and chills. This avid fan of haunted houses attended all three last Friday evening.

“The Awakening was my favorite hands down,” Jackie said. “There was a whole lot of stuff in that house that was really scary. Way more effort went into constructing that house and it was really well done. If you’re looking for a good scare you must go to this one.”

In addition to the newly-constructed attractions, House of Torment is celebrating its 10-year anniversary this year by adding some outdoor entertainment for trembling Austinites waiting in line. While you wait outside for the apocalypse to consume the world, satisfy your nightmarish cravings at the House of Torment Food Corpse, stocked with goodies from the best food trailers around Austin.

And for those of you who aren’t sure about the whole being scared out of your wits thing, Kuenstler offers advice.

“Thrill-seekers who are afraid of spiders or any bug should just get over it,” Jackie said. “You should expect to see lots of giant monsters that you could never imagine. Expect the unimaginable. It’s frightening and overall I just loved it.”

Tickets can be purchased online or at the door. General Admission into all three haunted houses is $24.99 plus tax. VIP Fast Passes, available online and on-site, are $34.99 plus tax.

Kenyatta Giddings is a double major in Broadcast Journalism and Radio-Television-Film at the University of Texas at Austin. She's a former toddler in a tiara from Dallas, Texas and enjoys recording voiceovers for Radio Disney, writing for various publications, and contributing her production and on-camera talents to an array of programs. In her spare time Kenyatta consumes herself with all things vintage shopping, entertainment media, and brunch. Follow her pursuit for fabulosity on Twitter @kenyattapinata and her favorite online magazine @HerCampusTexas.