Sarah Pressley: Gives Voice To Cancer Survivors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

The last thing a person suffering from cancer needs is to feel mocked, ostracized or even threatened by members of their community. But in many countries across the globe the stigma associated with cancer and the public perception of the disease creates social costs for the patients. 

To tackle cancer stigma UT Students of the World traveled to Mexico and China this past June to document the work of LIVESTRONG’s Cancer Anti-Stigma Campaign. Through photography, film, journalism, and a little social media, seven media-savvy Longhorns captured testimonials from some of the toughest cancer survivors–giving them a voice for the first time ever. 

While many of her friends spent their summers backpacking through Europe, Sarah Pressley, senior journalism and dance major, took to social media to tell the struggles and triumphs of cancer survivors.

“The reason I got into journalism and was interested in Students of the World is because I wanted to help tell people’s stories,” said Sarah. “I think it’s empowering for people to share their stories. Most people in the world don’t have the opportunity to talk about themselves and share their experiences so I wanted to be their voice.”

As the Social Media Coordinator for UT Students of the World, Sarah managed the organization’s blog, Facebook and Twitter accounts to share the experiences of their trip for community outreach.

“Nonprofits don’t have the resources or funding to promote themselves so social media is a great tool to use to share experiences and engage people,” Sarah said.

Starting in Mexico and ending in China, the students spent a month traveling throughout each country talking to cancer survivors, politicians, government figures, and nonprofit leaders. Despite the heavy burden that cancer brings, many people in both Mexico and China don’t tolerate cancer or it’s survivors.

In Merida,Yucatan, Mexico the students spent time with a family whose daughter recently passed away from cervical cancer. It was here that Sarah learned the horrors of cancer stigma. People harbor misconceptions of cancer—that it is contagious through contact—and therefore push those affected into isolation. After being diagnosed with cancer, one woman revealed to Sarah that her neighbors planted pesticides in her bed, forcing her to move. Other patients suffered having dirt thrown at them in public and even losing their jobs.

“It’s therapeutic for those suffering from cancer to finally have an outlet,” said Sarah. “Before working with Students of the World I had no idea other countries felt this way about cancer.”

Due to the stigma, a lot of people refuse to be tested for cancer, said Sarah. Those who are diagnosed keep the information to themselves and forgo treatment in fear of placing torment on their families and loved ones.

But it wasn’t all work and no play. The students were able to balance the social aspect of their travels with their work and enjoyed climbing the Aztec pyramids and the Pyramid of the Sun, watching a Libre fight, and a few even scaled the Great Wall.

After a month abroad, the students returned home for six weeks of post-production work. The Austin-based nonprofit media organization gathered all three teams—the two student groups at UT and UNC and the national team—in working together for their media showcase of all their work.

Looking back on it all Sarah reflects on her experience with UT Students of the World with one word coming to mind: Enlightening.

“When I got back from traveling people kept asking me ‘how was your trip?” and I never had the words to truly explain it,” said Sarah. “Not only did I travel and get to experience other cultures, I worked with families and cancer survivors hands on and learned about their struggles. It was just so much.”

Kenyatta Giddings is a double major in Broadcast Journalism and Radio-Television-Film at the University of Texas at Austin. She's a former toddler in a tiara from Dallas, Texas and enjoys recording voiceovers for Radio Disney, writing for various publications, and contributing her production and on-camera talents to an array of programs. In her spare time Kenyatta consumes herself with all things vintage shopping, entertainment media, and brunch. Follow her pursuit for fabulosity on Twitter @kenyattapinata and her favorite online magazine @HerCampusTexas.