Ramen: The College Diet Staple That Conquered the World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Ramen is a beloved staple in many countries around the world. With its rich history and cultural significance, it’s no wonder that ramen has become a global phenomenon. But where did this delicious noodle dish come from? Let’s take a look at the history of ramen.

Ramen’s origins can be traced back to China, where a similar noodle dish called “lamien” was first created. Lamien, which means “hand-pulled noodles,” was made by stretching and pulling dough until it formed thin noodles. The dish was brought to Japan in the early 20th century by Chinese immigrants, where it became known as “ramen.”

Initially, ramen was a cheap and simple food, often sold from street vendors. However, it quickly gained popularity and started to evolve into the dish we know today. Japanese chefs began experimenting with different broths and toppings, leading to the creation of regional varieties such as shoyu, miso, and tonkotsu ramen.

Ramen also made its way to Korea, where it became known as “ramyeon.” Korean ramyeon has a distinct spicy flavor and is often enjoyed as a late-night snack or quick meal.

In the United States, ramen gained popularity in the late 20th century with the introduction of instant ramen. The first instant ramen was invented by Momofuku Ando, a Taiwanese businessman, to combat starvation in postwar Japan. He started selling flash-fried instant noodles called “Chikin Ramen” for his company Nissin Foods. In 1971, Nissin Foods introduced Cup Noodles, the world’s first instant noodle in a cup, which revolutionized the way people eat ramen.

Today, ramen has become a beloved and widely recognized dish around the world. It continues to evolve and adapt to different cultures and tastes, with new and exciting variations being created every day.

If you’re a ramen lover, you might want to try making your own chashu ramen at home. Here’s how:

Ingredients:

• 4 packs of ramen noodles
  • 4 eggs
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 4 green onions, thinly sliced
  • 4 slices of pork belly
  • 4 sheets of nori
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce
  • 2 tbsp mirin
  • 1 tbsp sake
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 1 tbsp vegetable oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Mix soy sauce, mirin, sake, and sugar together in a bowl. Place pork belly in a baking dish and pour the soy sauce mixture over it. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
  2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add eggs and cook for 7 minutes. Remove eggs from the pot and place them in a bowl of ice water.
  3. In a separate pot, heat chicken broth over medium heat. Add sliced green onions, salt, and pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes.
  4. Cook ramen noodles according to package instructions. Drain and divide among 4 bowls.
  5. Pour chicken broth over the noodles. Add a slice of pork belly, a sheet of nori, and a soft-boiled egg to each bowl.
  6. Serve hot and enjoy your homemade chashu ramen!
Vanna Chen

Texas '23

Senior Computer Science Major Sleepy, Funny, Addicted to Kombucha