Party With A Texas Belle: Maggie Molhoek

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Maggie Molhoek is the kind of girl that you are secretly, or not so secretly, incredibly jealous of. She is the girl who is sweet and approachable, but at the same time can put on her professional hat to match her unbelievably cute blazer. On top of being a Junior PR major, interning at fancy Austin restaurant Olive & June, and trying to maintain a social life, Maggie is the president of the student event planning organization called Texas Belles.  I recently got to talk to her and ask her some questions about party planning and how she manages to keep the rest of her life balanced.

Her Campus Texas: Why do you love being a part of Texas Belles?

Maggie Molhoek: I found Texas Belles my freshman year at the Communications fair. Until then, I didn’t really realize that events could be a career but I have always been really interested in big events like the Oscars. Texas Belles is really fun and I’ve met a lot of great girls too!

HCTX: Do you have any favorite local vendors/venues/planners that really stand out and are great at what they do?

MM: Well, I definitely have to say Olive & June. I am an intern there right now it is just a really cool place, I love it. The Austin community as a whole is really welcoming and they open their arms to new people who are just starting out in the industry.

HCTX: What are some of your tips for throwing a successful party?

MM: Don’t overlook the small things like napkins or plates because those things can run out. A good tip is to have enough napkins so that there are three per person, you don’t really think about it but people use more than one napkin! And the most important part is to be excited about what you are planning because if you aren’t no one else will be. You should want to go to the party you’re planning!

HCTX: How do you approach being the leader of an organization with over 100 members?

MM: It was really nerve wracking at first. But I just really try to make sure that everyone has fun and that I am not wasting their time. I have a really great support system with the other officers, I couldn’t do it without them, they keep me sane!

HCTX: Are there any fall fashion trends that you are excited about?

MM: I really love boots and big sweaters, but in Texas it is kind of hard to implement fall trends because it is so hot. They are coming out with bikinis before I can think to go fall shopping!

HCTX: What are some of your favorite stores to find cute business attire?  

MM: J. Crew for sure! If you show them your student ID you can get 15% off which is awesome. I also really like Target for the bargains but the clothes are still cute. Trends change too often to spend too much money on clothes.   

HCTX: Do you have any advice about balancing being professional but at the same time still fun and approachable?

MM: I firmly believe that, as college kids, we should still be fun even when we are being professional. There is a fine line that you have to find but you really just have to fake it ‘til you make it!

HCTX: What are some things that you do to relax or have fun when you are not busy?

MM: I marathon things on Netflix (right now its Freaks and Geeks for like the third time). I veg out on social media, especially Twitter. I also really love going to restaurants around Austin with my friends, Torchy’s just re-opened and I am way too excited about it.

Maggie seems like the ultimate hostess! Do you share the party-planning gene and have any tips for throwing the best party/event?  

I am Corisa but a lot of my friends call me Cori! I feel like the real life Hannah Horvath from Girls.