P1Harmony Are “Set In” And Refuse To “Back Down” In Their Latest Comeback

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Rising 4th gen K-pop sensation P1Harmony has been proving, all year long, exactly why we should follow their lead and do things like them. From embarking on a sold-out U.S. tour to performing at popular, worldwide events like HallyuPop Fest and KCON (while also consistently putting out new music), it’s safe to say that the multi-talented group has undoubtedly left its mark in 2022 with no plans of backing down anytime soon.

On Nov. 20, the group released their 3rd comeback of the year and 5th overall mini album, Harmony: Set In. (Which is quite the feat for a group that recently celebrated its 2nd anniversary!) Featuring a fresh concept carried by universal themes of friendship, P1Harmony’s latest drop is a reminder to everyone that they are “set in” this industry and here to stay.

The Title track

With a song as powerful as “Back Down,” it’s no wonder why P1Harmony chose this track to be their lead single and tone-setting album opener. Characterized by its hip hop-inspired beat and catchy chorus, “Back Down” delivers a sound best described as “in your face,” each member exuding all the confidence and swagger necessary for such a self-assured track.

Rappers Hwang Intak and Kim Jongseob contribute particularly standout raps to this song, their cadence and clever usage of onomatopoeias during the second verse solidifying them as 4th gen’s flyest, tag team rap duo in the game. And just as strong are the vocal performances, especially when group vocalists Choi Theo and Yoon Keeho take over the track with their addicting bridge. (Not to mention the adlibs featured throughout this song are an absolute treat.)

The Music video

No title track is complete without a fun, concept-driven music video to match it. And “Back Down” is no exception. For this song, the members go above and beyond expectations to deliver a visually stunning production complete with Y2k-inspired outfits and an eccentric, underground New York City aesthetic (which many have said reminds them of the fun-loving Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and I couldn’t agree more).

P1Harmony members refuse to “back down” in their latest music video.

The video also comes complete with an intense choreography that the boys execute in such an effortlessly cool manner. Most notably, members Choi Jiung and Haku Shota (aka Soul) are undeniably in their element each time they step front and center to show off their moves, drawing viewers’ eyes directly to them without fail.

The Album

Though the mini album only contains six songs and has a run time of 18 minutes and 37 seconds, P1Harmony still manages to cover a lot of ground sonically, each track experimenting with a different sound and tapping into the members’ charms in never before seen ways. From braggadocios, hip-hop tracks like “Secret Sauce” to bubbly, danceable ones like “BFF (Best Friends Forever)” and moving ballads like “Better Together,” the group tries plenty of new things that come together to create a cohesive body of work that highlights the beauty of friendship. P1Harmony only gets better with each new release, and the same is true of this mini album, as the group demonstrates that there is only one direction left for them to go: up.

Most Notable Track: Look At Me Now

The production? The vocals? The raps? Absolute perfection. (By the way, if you’re not including Jongseob in your discussions about best 4th gen rappers, you are sadly mistaken. His verse on this track is only one of many reasons why he deserves the recognition.)

My Favorite Track: BFF (Best Friends Forever)

P1Harmony member Soul puts on a joyous performance to their newest song “BFF (Best Friends Forever).”

This song has such an infectious energy that it never fails to put a smile on my face. (And Soul’s solo teaser performance is one of my favorite things on this planet. He captured the song’s vibe so perfectly.)

Closing thoughts

When it comes down to it, I know I can always count on P1Harmony to put their best foot forward and give us their all. This group is such an underrated gem in 4th gen K-pop. And if you haven’t been tuning in to them, now’s the perfect time to start. P1Harmony will shine even brighter in 2023 and you do not want to miss it.

Be sure to check our their 5th mini album Harmony: Set In, available now on all music platforms.

Ashley Coleman is an undergraduate student studying journalism at the University of Texas at Austin. She is most passionate about media representation and all things related to pop culture. When she’s not writing, you can find her learning a new dance, fangirling over Zendaya, or making a quick trip to the nearest boba shop.