“New Year, New Me.” Girl, Please…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

January 1st, the first day of a brand new year. The day where you will endlessly hear people saying how they’re going to change and actually workout and eat better and blah blah blah. “New year, new me!” Girl, let’s be real. We all know those New Years resolution don’t ever make it to the end of January. You say you’re going to leave your “ex” in 2022, but there you go stalking his insta in 2023. Cut the crap bestie, it’s time to make resolutions you can actually hold yourself accountable to, or not make them at all.

the “new” you

We all want to be hotties with the bodies. So let’s start there. Rather than saying you’re going to workout every single day and eat nothing but greens, be real. What does your schedule look like? Are you a busy person or a lazy one? How many days out of the week can you actually commit to going to the gym? Think about it and aim for it. “I will go to the gym at least 4 days each week.” Boom, a goal that is actually possible and that will keep you in shape and motivate you to keep going because you did not fail. You might even be inspired to go for more than the four days! You never know unless you try.

moving on from Mr. not-worth-your-time

Personally, I loved writing letters to/about people who I wanted to forget/get over, then at the New Years Ever bonfire, burn it as a way to symbolize that person no longer being in my life. It is actually super effective for me because I don’t talk to any of those people anymore and the reason for that is – you’re saying everything you want to say to them or about them to a piece of paper which is letting out all of those emotions you have built up. Then you can even re-read it before burning it into flames. Have your dramatic moment, go ahead and cry about it, but trust me, the feeling after is just so good.

(Disclaimer: If you don’t have a bonfire or something to catch it on fire, you can also write on a balloon and let it go into the air or write on a plate and vigorously smash it.)

An alternative to this little psycho moment is just time. In time you will see that this person was not worth all the pain they caused you and you will never set your standards so low again. You are worth so much and once you realize it, you’ll never consider giving a loser a second chance again.

all the other things

Making New Year’s resolutions is just something a lot of people enjoy, myself included. So, go ahead and do it! What are small term goals you want for yourself? How about long term? All of these other things are up to you and what you believe you are capable of because you run your life. Do not think that you won’t be able to do something because there are some things that you just won’t ever be ready for, you just have to start. Having a positive mindset and believing in yourself is what will help you create a list of resolutions that you can actually check off.

I believe in y’all, happy 2023!

Communication and Leadership major @ UT Austin. IG: @stephanie.inclan