Life > Experiences

My New Dessert-for-Breakfast Obsession: Healthy Cookie Dough

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

I used to eat oatmeal almost every day for breakfast, but as a college student who frequently wakes up at the last possible moment before her morning class, it often takes too long to prepare, and its texture is also not the best. I recently sought out alternatives and caught inspiration with TikTok’s viral “healthy cookie dough”, which usually consists of blended oats, protein powder, yogurt or milk, sweetener, and flavorings. However, the dough includes uncommon ingredients that are less accessible to college students on a budget, and less healthy. After tasting the original recipe, I adjusted the ingredients over time to find the most satisfying, quickest, sweet but wholesome version. Plus, it’s extremely versatile and diet-friendly. Here’s how to make it:

Equipment: blender, measuring cups

Ingredients: ½ Cup Rolled Oats (gluten-free if needed), Milk As Needed (I use oat milk but any type works), Handful Toppings (see ideas below)

1. Blend the Oats

Blend the oats at high speed just until they resemble a flour-like powder (takes as little as 10 seconds depending on the type of blender). Pour the powder into a bowl.

1. Mix in Milk

Simply stir in a bit of milk at a time until a dough-like consistency is formed (no more powder, but no excess liquid). Add sweetener if desired. I find that sweetener isn’t needed after adding toppings, but that’s just my taste.

1. Add Toppings

This is completely up to you, but I’ve tried many flavor combinations and these are my favorites: 

• Chocolate Chips
  • Blueberries
  • Cinnamon (tastes like snickerdoodle dough!)
  • Pumpkin Puree (great with walnuts and pumpkin seeds)
  • Nuts
  • Seeds
  • Cocoa Powder (add a bit of honey or brown sugar to counteract the bitterness, add chocolate chips for double chocolate)

It’s that easy! This comes together in just 3 minutes, and it should be illegal for something so good to be so easy to make. Trust me, you’ll never want to switch back to your old breakfast after trying this!

Victoria Plaxton is a computer science student at UT Austin. She writes about pop culture, adulting, and mental health. In her free time, she enjoys baking, going on walks, curating Spotify playlists, and exploring the city.