This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Today, at nineteen years old, I had my first piano lesson. I know people my age have been learning and playing the piano since they started to speak. I’ll never be able to catch up with them, but honestly, that’s not my goal. All I want to do is learn the piano at my own pace. I have always been amazed by the piano, but my family was never able to afford lessons. I figured I’m going to be home for the summer and I have a part-time job, so why not try it?

I will admit, it was a bit odd. Walking into a stranger’s home, having only emailed my teacher a couple of times, and meeting for the first time right then. It’s an understatement to say I was uncomfortable. I rarely visit homes outside of my close family. And even then I remain stiff and timid to move about. But my teacher was so excited for me and honestly, her attitude changed my perspective. I knew she typically teaches kids, so I was naturally a bit embarrassed to be there as a grown woman. Nevertheless, my teacher began to teach me the basics of the piano with no judgment towards my clueless self. 

At times she slipped into using terms she admitted to using with her younger students, but that just made me feel more at home. Her energetic learning and excited mood helped keep my ADHD mind focused and attentive the entire time. Maybe I should try being taught as if I were a 5-year-old more often. 

I’m not going to lie and say it wasn’t frustrating. I messed up with the first set of notes she was teaching me over and over again. And, yeah sure, it was my first time but I was also scared my teacher would think I’m just not fit to play the piano. The older people get, the harder it is to learn large concepts like a new language or instrument. Take my mom, for instance: she started attending English classes only 5 years ago. She has learned a lot but still struggles with holding conversations and pronunciation. Don’t get me wrong, I’m really proud of her and admire her hard work, but what if I continue this and don’t get as far as I want? I hope not. 

Even so, I plan to continue my weekly lessons with her for as long as I can. Knowing myself, I will probably threaten myself into quitting multiple times out of frustration in the future. Regardless, future me, you better f*cking still be taking those piano lessons!

I hope everyone gets the opportunity to try something they always wanted to learn or do. 

My Royal Theys, Queens, and Kings, 

Follow your dreams.

I know I grimaced typing that,

But really,

Try new things out,

Even if it’s learning how to play the silly little piano.