This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Back in 2020, in California, my family found a stray puppy in our hometown. We searched for her owners for a few weeks and checked for a microchip, but we had no luck. We knew she was meant to be, so, she joined the family. When the time came for me to move to Austin for college, I knew Nila had to come with me. 

In January 2021 I moved to Austin with my 9-pound ball of fluff. Here’s what I’ve learned about owning a dog in college since then. 

Having a pup is fun and so rewarding, but it’s expensive and a huge time commitment. I have to make sure to not go out too much because I don’t want to leave her at home. I also choose to stay home a lot more to spend time with her. Having a dog is always expensive, but it hurts the bank a little more as a broke college student. Budgeting and maintaining your pup’s health and vet bills help keep it manageable. 

There’s nothing I would change though. Having a dog in college is so much fun. I love having my best friend waiting for me to come home after class or on a hard day. She’s also a great companion to have to prevent me from getting homesick or ever feeling lonely. 

If you’re thinking about getting a pet during college and have the time and resources to properly care for them, I truly can’t recommend it enough! Plus, they make a great ice breaker and friend magnet! 

Hey y'all! I am Sonali and I am a third year Economics major, and minoring in Business. I am originally from the Bay Area, California. When I'm not in school or writing, you can find me spending my time around Austin and discovering the best taco shops this city has to offer! :)