A Must-try Mexican Hot Chocolate Recipe for the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

As the weather gets colder and the holidays start to near, I can’t help but crave a cup of my mom’s Mexican hot chocolate!

My go-to breakfast as a kid was a cup of hot chocolate and a piece of pan dulce (sweet bread). Growing up and waking up to my mom making the sweetest, cinnamony chocolate for breakfast on the coldest days was one of my best memories as a kid. Now every time I have hot chocolate and pan dulce, I am reminded that the holidays are near. My mom and tia’s (aunts) would make big large pots of hot chocolate for all of our holiday celebrations, especially during Christmas. It’s a staple tradition that I’d like to hold and share with all of you.

Growing up in a Mexican household, I found it essential to learn this recipe. I am privileged to still live with my parents while in school but I know not everyone has that opportunity.

So here’s the recipe for my favorite Mexican hot chocolate, to bring a little “home” back to you.

*Disclaimer: This recipe is how I grew up making it. You can always change things to fit your liking*

Ingredients You’ll Need:

• 2 cups of water
  • 2 cups of milk
  • Cinnamon sticks
  • Sugar
  • Chocolate Abuelita or Ibarra (tablets)

Optional Ingredients:

• Whipped cream
  • Chocolate syrup

Instructions:

1. Boil the two cups of water with 1-2 sticks of cinnamon
  2. Once the water has boiled with the cinnamon, add a tablet of the Chocolate Abuelita or Ibarra
  3. Stir the tablet until it has completely dissolved
  4. After the chocolate has dissolved, add the two cups of milk
  5. Once the milk has been added, you can add a 1/2 cup or 3/4 cup of sugar (depending on how sweet you’d like)
  6. Stir everything, let it boil, and pour yourself a cup of Mexican hot chocolate!
  7. (Optional): Top it off with some whipped cream and chocolate syrup!
I'm Chantal, a first-Generation college student at The University of Texas at Austin. I come from a Mexican household, and I'm proud of my culture. I'm a daughter of immigrants, navigating this new college world on my own. I hope to encourage other girls to push forward, despite the obstacles.