A Month in Review: September

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

The first week of September was a hot one. Barton Springs was the go-to place if you live in Austin or go to the University of Texas during the month of September! Just a short ride away from campus, this natural pool has cool water just waiting to refresh you and your friends. It is such a great way to cool off and relieve stress for only a few dollars. Plus it makes for really cute pics! #PicOrItDidn’tHappen

The Study Abroad Fair attracted thousands of students on September 9th. Gregory Plaza was filled with international programs from different departments all across the university. The University of Texas is one of the top schools in the nation for sending students abroad, and each booth showed the wide variety of programs our campus has to offer. 

On 9/11 a wonderful student organization, the YCT, set up their annual flag memorial on the lawn. It took lots of hard work and dedication late the night before but people from all across campus – and all across Austin – came to pay their respects and take pictures of the memorial. What a wonderful thing they have done in memory of those killed on 9/11. Join them next year on the night of 9/10 to take part in this dedication!

Us longhorns have already suffered a number of heartbreaking losses, but our (only) win against Rice on the 12th was unforgettable. The weather was lovely, the skies were wide and all eyes were on Texas. It was a perfect way to start off the football season. 

The inaguration of President Fenves on September 17th caused quite the buzz across campus. Fenves’ presidency as already been newsworthy; in his short amount of time reigning over the university, he has ousted the much debated Jefferson Davis statue AND former Atheletic Director, Steve Patterson. We look forward to the rest of his presidency! 

What a game the Longhorns played vs. Cal on September 19th! We caught up with these cuties who were proud to show off their Texas style. Wearing white dresses/skirts, denim, and boots or any other Texan outfit made any longhorn a winner, no matter what the outcome of the game was. 

Just last week, a campus-wide annoncement was made that Speedway will be turned into a pedestrain mall. No longer will we be confined to a mere side walk! The walkway will strech all the way from Jester Circle to Dean Keeton, and the stretch of land will be both biker and walker friendly. Constuction begins in October, and we can’t wait to see what this new addition to our campus will look like! 

I am a Longhorn who grew up in a very small town. I enjoy writing and travelling. I am a business major and a lover of ice cream! Hook 'Em!