Let The Good Times Roll: 3 Common Mardi Gras Traditions, Explained

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

During this time of year, I always tend to miss my home state a little bit extra— because no other place puts on a Mardi Gras celebration like we do in the Mis-Lou (short for Mississippi/Louisiana) region!

Having roots in Christianity but being a celebration for all, Mardi Gras, as a festival season, lasts anywhere from one to three months and features many large-scale celebrations: all in the spirit of indulging in fun before having to practice abstinence and fasting during the religious season of Lent.

Though Mardi Gras is global in its celebrations (with other places referring to it as Carnival), there’s something about the way the Mis-Lou area does it that makes it the place to be! Curious to know more? Here are three common Mardi Gras traditions, as explained by a frequent Mardi Gras celebrator.

Krewes

When acknowledging the extravagant parades and parties that characterize the Mardi Gras season, one can’t forget the people who make them possible: krewes! Pronounced like “crews,” these organizations are responsible for arranging the Mardi Gras festivities that we all know and love.

This tradition began in 1857 with the Krewe of Comus, who took the originally destructive, chaotic celebration and turned it into the structure of elegant balls and organized parades that we see now. Today, various krewes exist throughout New Orleans and in many other cities too (like Natchez, Mississippi), each having a unique name, history, and theme.

(For a deeper dive into Mardi Gras krewe history and the Krewe of Comus, I highly recommend reading this article from The Tulane Hullabaloo.)

King Cake

The most sought-after food of the season, king cake is a ring-shaped pastry topped with white icing and colored sugar in honor of the official Mardi Gras colors: purple, green, and gold (which each represent justice, faith, and power). But what sets king cake apart from other desserts is the tiny plastic baby hidden inside of it, a tradition started by the owner of McKenzie’s Bakery, Donald Entringer, after a traveling merchant suggested the idea to him.

Some believe the plastic baby represents Jesus Christ, while others see it as a sign of good fortune. But where I’m from, receiving the slice with the plastic baby means you’re the next to host the Mardi Gras festivities (including buying the next king cake!)

Fun Fact: People tend to have their first slice of king cake on January 6th, a date better known as Epiphany. The reason why? Because the day officially starts the Mardi Gras season and commemorates baby Jesus’s revealing Himself to the world, as well as the visit of the three kings to Him in the manger (hence the name king cake). The last day you can eat this pastry is Fat Tuesday (Mardi Gras translated from French to English); it is the final day of the Mardi Gras season and the last time you can indulge in fatty foods before Ash Wednesday kicks off Lent.

Masquerade Masks

Mardi Gras isn’t Mardi Gras without its signature masquerade masks, which can be as plain or as elaborate as the wearer wants it to be! The wearing of masquerade masks started because it allowed those celebrating the holiday to mix and mingle without worrying about class or reputation being a limiting factor. Today, locals still practice mask-wearing on Mardi Gras, continuing to carry the spirit of freedom that characterized the tradition’s origin.

Fun Fact: In Louisiana, it is illegal to wear full face masks any day except for Mardi Gras! And if you’re riding on a float during a Mardi Gras parade, it is actually required that you wear a mask, for the sake of keeping the tradition and spirit alive!

Ashley Coleman is an undergraduate student studying journalism at the University of Texas at Austin. She is most passionate about media representation and all things related to pop culture. When she’s not writing, you can find her learning a new dance, fangirling over Zendaya, or making a quick trip to the nearest boba shop.