Life > Experiences

I’ve Never Been So Excited To Go Home, Here’s Why. 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

By Abby McMorris 

As my second semester at UT Austin approached, I felt that something was missing in my life. I felt a certain pull, an urge, that I had not felt before – as if an invisible string was pulling me to make a certain decision. 

I needed to get a dog. 

I was a sophomore, having just finished my first semester at UT as a transfer student. I had been struggling with feeling lonely, left out, and simply like I didn’t belong. Amidst the flames of an unhealthy relationship and deciding old high school friends were not who I thought they were, I yearned for companionship and true love. 

And that’s exactly what I found. 

I grew up in a very animal-loving family. I’ve had a childhood dog since 1st grade, a cocker spaniel/boxer mix named Daisy. When the pandemic started, we got a red labrador – Paisley. So needless to say, I have always loved dogs and fully understand the 10-15-year commitment they hold.

Not knowing what was waiting for me, I searched the internet for weeks – shelters, random websites that were probably fake, and everything in between. Soon enough, I found Girl #2 – a cocker spaniel from Louisiana, 5 months old. 

Fast forward a month later, I am in my Austin apartment on a Friday afternoon telling my roommate I may or may not come back with a dog on Monday. I had never been so nervous. I was supposed to pick up Girl #2 in a matter of days and I was at war with myself – could I handle this? 

Sunday morning came around and it was a matter of just going through the motions. The day before I had picked out a collar, a leash, some toys, a bed, and blankets. My mom, dad, and I had a 3-hour drive ahead of us – Carthage, Texas, here we come.

Then there I was, with a 5-month old puppy once known as Girl #2, who was now Minnie. Monday morning, I was driving from Houston to Austin with a living, breathing dog in a car seat right next to me. Overwhelmingly enough, she threw up in the car on the way there. Could I handle this? 

I soon got into a routine – I was up 2.5 hours before my classes started to ensure I had time to take her outside 2-3 times, play with her, feed her, and then get ready myself. Potty training was no joke, not to mention her incessant need to just simply get into mischief.  

When hanging out with friends, I must always suggest something dog-friendly first so Minnie can tag along. I always have to make sure I get up with ample time before class so I can play with her, feed her, and take her out. Budgeting for veterinary expenses, toys, and food is also something paramount. Dogs rely on their owners for everything, so I revolve a lot of my life around Minnie. Before getting a dog in college, or really at any age, there are many things to consider. 

While getting a dog comes with great responsibility, it also comes with even greater reward. Having Minnie in my life has made me go outside and get the exercise I need. She keeps me on my toes, in a good way. She makes me laugh, and I gush just talking about her. 

She makes me excited to go home. 

It’s been just over a year since I got Minnie, and needless to say it was the best decision I have ever made. Little did I know, I could handle it, and I am so excited for her to be there for so many milestones in my life – my 21st, graduating, getting married, having children, turning 30, etc.

She came into my life at the best time possible. While all of this may sound dramatic, Minnie has taught me a multitude of life lessons – love is unconditional and true love exists, venture out of your comfort zone, challenge yourself, take risks, and always listen to your gut and that feeling of an invisible string pulling you somewhere. 

Hi! I'm Abby! I'm a proud Longhorn studying speech-language-hearing sciences. While most of my background is in language, communication, and disability advocacy and awareness, I also love to read, write and journal, make bracelets, get outside, and spend time with my dog, family, and friends. One day I hope to work for a magazine as a writer and editor, or work for a company like Disney or Universal, where I can really unleash myself creatively. I love to write about my personal experiences with mental health, college, relationships and friendships, and pop culture, especially Taylor Swift. Happy reading! XOXO, Abby