This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

It could be pretty overwhelming when you realize the major you chose and have put so much time and money into, is in fact, not the major for you. It could be that the major was too difficult for you, that it didn’t interest you as much as you thought it would, or that you believe there is something better out there for you. No matter what your reason is, the option to change your major is there! 

However, for some of us, the decision is not so simple. There are many things to consider and it is quite impossible to not overthink. Here are a few of the reasons that would prevent you from making this life-changing decision:   

1. Wasted Time/Money

One of the main setbacks to changing your major could be the fact that you’ve already put a certain amount of time and money into your current major. Just think of it like this, if you don’t make the change you’ll only waste more time because a semester or two from now you’re going to be in the same situation of wanting to switch your major.

2. Extra School Time 

Depending on how deep into your major you already are, there is a slight chance you might have to do an extra semester or year. Keep in mind that some majors have classes that cross over, so maybe not all your credits will go to waste. If your new major is entirely different from your current, you’re basically starting fresh; but that is okay! Keep in mind this is a change you want, so the extra time will be worth it! There is always the option to do summer courses and try to avoid the extra semesters.

3. Feeling like a Failure 

Maybe you chose your major because it was something your parents wanted or maybe it was just something other people were impressed by. If you feel like you’re letting others down by your decision, keep in mind that it is YOUR life. Now if the person you feel like you’re letting down is yourself, you are not! It is something you’re doing to better yourself, to make yourself happy. It is a change you want.   

Of course these are not the only thoughts going through your head; but regardless of your situation, it is okay to change your major! If it is something you really want, go for it. College is the time to experiment. You were not meant to graduate high school and automatically know what you want to do with your life. Change is good, change is okay. Do what makes YOU happy!

Communication and Leadership major @ UT Austin. IG: @stephanie.inclan