I Moved to New York: What I Think After a Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

In April 2022, I decided to complete an application for the fall 2022 semester at UTNY, a competitive and immersive program where students work, live, and study in New York City for a semester. Since I am graduating at the end of the fall 2022 semester, this was the last semester possible for me to participate in this program. A few minutes before the deadline, I hit submit, and all my work on the application had been deleted. You probably want to ask me the obvious question – “why didn’t you write your answers on a Google or Word document and then transfer it over?” I, unfortunately, can not give you an answer because I asked myself the same question. Immediately after this happened, I cried for a bit because I thought I had ruined my chances of living in New York for a semester. Afterward, I emailed the program director asking if it was still possible to submit the application after the deadline. Luckily, they allowed me to complete the application, and I was admitted!

Now, time to start planning for my semester in New York. Where do I even begin? Plane tickets, finding a place to live, submitting internship applications, completing interviews for said internship applications, and completing the classes necessary to still graduate at the end of 2022 are just some of the things I needed to get done before the move. It felt like there was so much to do, so little time, and no idea where to start. Somehow, I got it all done with two internships at Children and Screens: Institute of Digital Media and Child Development and at CNN in their newsroom. I am excited, honored, and privileged to be where I am today. 

How did I feel going into the semester?

Everyone I told about my semester in New York had different opinions. Some people hate New York because of the commuting, the politics, or simply how dirty it is (I think everyone can admit this city is dirty). However, most people said I was going to have the absolute best time. Because of this, I’ve felt pressured to do something exciting every day and to have a great time doing it. In reality, I feel like some days I push myself too hard. Many people fail to consider that I have lived in Austin, Texas my entire life, and the shift from Austin to New York is a lot to take emotionally and mentally. While I have had a good time here, there have still been bad days where I felt like I was at rock bottom. But that sounds ungrateful, right?

Thoughts about Working in New York

The professional opportunities in this city are one of the main reasons I came here and the main reason I would consider staying. Without relocating, I would not have the opportunity to be in the same internship programs I am in right now. There is much development of professional opportunities in Austin and elsewhere in the United States. Still, it is not quite like New York due to the number of businesses that have an office here, if not their headquarters. 

Thoughts about Studying in New York

When I do study here, it never feels like I am focused. It could be because of senioritis, but it could also be because of the nature of New York. No matter where I am in this city, I am never physically or mentally alone, unless I am in my apartment. Additionally, due to all tasks taking longer in the city than they do elsewhere, I do not think I could commit enough time to study the way I have in the past.

Thoughts about Living in New York

Everything is so expensive! Right now, I only have to pay for rent and groceries because my electricity, water, and internet are through my rent, but I could not imagine how much I would pay a month if I lived in a “regular” apartment. I do not know how people pay the prices for rent that they do without sacrificing their personal space. For me, the opportunities here to reach my personal goals are not worth it to sacrifice my own space and the amount of money I would pay.

My Biggest Pet Peeves

1. The five-cent recycling fee on every bottle or can you buy. I understand it is supposed to incentivize people to bring their bottles somewhere to get their money back and recycle properly, but how many people do that? Additionally, I have two questions: (1) How do I find the space to store the bottles when I have no space in my apartment? (2) How do I find the time out of my day to return my bottles somewhere? It doesn’t feel that it would be effective.
  2. Why is it so difficult to get pepper spray? While New York City may be safer than other cities, mainly because there are always people around, it doesn’t mean that we are safe, especially women. Not only is it difficult to obtain, but it also costs $30, you can only buy two every two years, and people with criminal records can’t purchase one. The police presence doesn’t help most people feel safer, but it is also incredibly difficult for people to obtain self-defense products, which feels counter-productive.
  3. It takes SO LONG to get anywhere. If I wanted to go anywhere in Austin, it would take 15 to 30 minutes. However, today, for example, it took me almost an hour to get from the upper west side of Manhattan to the lower east side, which was 5.3 miles. My favorite doughnut place in Round Rock (Round Rock Donuts, by the way, I would recommend) is 4.3 miles away from my house and takes a little over 10 minutes. When getting from one place to another in New York City, I take the Subway, which is not time efficient. I am in no way complaining about the public transportation system because it is better than most metropolitan areas in the United States, but it is by no means time efficient. 
  4. People express their opinion of Texas to me when I say I am from Texas, which is usually a very low opinion. I understand the low opinion because have you looked at how our state government spends its time? However, I also disagree with what the New York City government does most of the time, but I tend to keep that opinion to myself, especially when speaking to someone from New York. Overall, I find it rude that it is one of the first things people talk to me about when I first meet them.
  5. The hustle culture is real here. Something about me is that I hated hustle culture before I got here because it caused me to be burnt out before I was old enough to vote. However, it is much more prevalent here than in Texas, and I never feel like I can just take a break to exist. 

My Final Thoughts on New York

Let me make it clear – I am not insulting New York or the people that live here. I understand why many people like this city and want to stay here for life. There are many great opportunities and so much life in this city. However, there are many conditions that people continue to live with “because it’s New York,” such as the persistent rats, the ridiculously high rent prices, the trash on the streets, and the ridiculous amount of wealth disparity. Many organizations are working to alleviate some of these major issues, but there will always be a disconnect, especially in New York, between the people who can make an actual change and the people living through it. Overall, I know I will have a good time while here, but I know that I will be excited to return home.

Hi everyone! I am a senior graduating from The University of Texas at Austin in December 2022 with a major in accounting and a minor in journalism. I love writing about wellness and will do some music or game reviews from time to time. I hope you enjoy reading my articles!