How To Survive A Summer Apart

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

You and your man have become inseparable. You live five minutes away from each other and have two classes a week together. But for the summer you are each going your separate ways, whether to an out of town internship or back to the rents’ house or summer vacations. The fact that you will be apart is looming over your head as the semester ends.

Time apart can be stressful for any couple, but it can also be a positive thing. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, right?

Coming from someone who has been in a long distance relationship, time apart can allow you to each have your own space, time to do things for yourself and give you a chance to miss each other. For a lot of new couples that haven’t spent time apart however, a few months can seem like a lifetime. Here’s what to do to keep your relationship strong all summer long.

Don’t be in constant communication

If your phone is going off every 5 minutes then you’re not giving each other enough space. One of the burdens of a long distance relationship is that your phone becomes your second boyfriend, which can be stressful if one person doesn’t respond right away or answer a call. If he’s at a party and doesn’t answer right away, don’t freak out. It’ll just add more stress to both of your nights and it’ll show that you don’t trust him enough for him to be out having fun with his friends and vice versa. Give your texting hands a break and enjoy the moment you’re in.

Do your own thing

Haven’t had much time to hang out with your girlfriends lately? Have a girls’ night or visit with old friends at home. Take some time to yourself and read a book without looking at your phone. With no classes and no boyfriend to cuddle with, you’ll find that you have a lot more free time to do all those things you’ve been meaning to do. Keep yourself occupied and remember that you can have fun solo!

Skype

Just like you do with your BFF who goes to another school, set up a time for a Skype date where you and your man can catch up on all the exciting stuff happening over the summer. And if you follow the first tip you’ll have lots more to talk about.

Get creative

If you’re going on a trip, send him a postcard or exchange letters back and forth. Send him a mix CD of your favorite songs or a picture message of something random you see throughout your day. Little things like this are often forgotten when you’re constantly together and they’re more personal than a simple text when you’re apart; making your bond even stronger when you’re miles away.

Kenyatta Giddings is a double major in Broadcast Journalism and Radio-Television-Film at the University of Texas at Austin. She's a former toddler in a tiara from Dallas, Texas and enjoys recording voiceovers for Radio Disney, writing for various publications, and contributing her production and on-camera talents to an array of programs. In her spare time Kenyatta consumes herself with all things vintage shopping, entertainment media, and brunch. Follow her pursuit for fabulosity on Twitter @kenyattapinata and her favorite online magazine @HerCampusTexas.