This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

I feel like you always hear “studying abroad will change your life” and you’ve probably rolled your eyes a few times when people say it. Take the world by the horns, and all that jazz. I was one of those eye-rollers myself. Sure, I thought it would be fun, but okay, how life changing can it really be? Answer: very, or, très in my case.

Don’t get me wrong, UT is a marvelous place and I definitely don’t take being here for granted, but nothing will ever compare to this past summer, which I spent in Lyon, France. After about two months there eating so many croissants it’s sinful, I can’t say that it’s good to be home. Full disclosure, I teared up when my plane left the CDG airport, Texas bound.

What about France changed you? How are you different, Caroline? I am so glad you asked. Allons-y.

Learning

Clearly you learn when you study abroad, what with the classes and all. But there’s so much more than that. I lived with the sweetest host family, and every night at dinner they would talk for upwards of an hour about anything and everything. Politics, social reform, the importance of fresh veggies in their lives – you name it, we talked about it. Experiencing a culture in such a hands on and personal setting taught me more than any class ever will. Getting to be a part of a culture different than your own is both powerful and empowering.

Loving

Bad news, I didn’t fall in love with a cute French boy, but not for lack of trying. Good news, I fell in love so many times this summer. First, with a country, a language, and a culture. Second, with my incredible, supportive, silly, irreplaceable travel companions (gros bisous, mes amis). Third, with myself. I have never felt as happy with myself as I felt in France. I got on the plane unsure of myself, definitely a pile of self-conscious nerves. At some point while over there, something changed and I gained this confidence unlike anything I’d ever experienced before. I wish I knew exactly what it was, but honestly I still have no idea. Luckily for me, that feeling has made it through customs.

Letting Go

I love (and crave) being in control. But when you’re in a foreign country for an extended period of time, I guarantee that something will go wrong. There are just some things that you can’t afford to obsess over because worrying often leads to missing out. You quickly decide what’s important and what really isn’t. I learned how to find humor and hope in the imperfect and just let the adventure play itself out. Pre-France, almost missing a flight would turn me into a panicky mess. In-France, I ran through airport terminals, late for a last-minute flight to Portugal, laughing until my stomach hurt, enjoying the journey and not focusing on making sure the destination was perfect.

Living

Don’t ask me what the coolest thing I’ve ever done is because I can’t pick an answer and I will certainly talk your ear off. I jumped off a cliff in front of the Pont du Gard, I watched the Eurocup with 20,000 of my closest friends in the heart of Lyon, I hung out inside of a glacier in the Alps, I attempted to flamengo dance in the south of France after a few glasses of UT funded sangria, and I taught four year olds at a French preschool for a day. All of this, and all the rough days too, contributed to a newfound zest for life. Discover what’s important to you, take chances, do the things that scare you! Actual quote from my travel journal: My heart is so full of joy. You know when you’re just so freaking happy because everything is amazing?

Maybe France isn’t your cup of thé, and that’s fine. But go somewhere, anywhere! Now I’m the person telling you how studying abroad will change your life, because it will. It did for me, and I want everyone to know what that’s like. Get out there and explore the world, and you just might find yourself along the way.

Caroline is a third year psychology and French major. Her hobbies include napping, crafting, and shopping. She wears entirely too much navy, spends entirely too much time at coffee shops, and laughs entirely too much at her own jokes (but hey, someone’s gotta do it). You can find her @carolineeelise if you feel so inclined.
Eleni is a nerd who prefers to be called an intellectual. She loves pondering philosophical questions and reflecting on life as a twenty-something, both of which she does on her blog: sharingimpressions.com. Anyone creative and curious is welcome.