Holly Coyle ’14: Bald is Beautiful!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Holly Coyle is a second year nursing major here at UT Austin. She’s always had a passion for helping people in need, and this March she’s expressing that love in a drastic way–by shaving her head! Read below to find out a little more about what inspired Holly to go bald.

HCTX: Tell us about TexasTHON, and how you became involved in it.
Holly: TexasTHON is UT’s Dance Marathon and fundraiser for Dell Children’s Medical Center, a member of Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals. I became involved through my membership of the organization S.M.I.L.E. Since S.M.I.L.E regularly volunteers at Dell’s, we love to help the hospital in any way.

HCTX: How did you find out about St. Baldrick’s?
Holly: I found out about St. Baldrick’s also because of S.M.I.L.E. Every year, Dell Children’s hosts a St. Baldrick’s (a fund raiser in which volunteers shave their heads to raise money and awareness for pediatric cancer research). S.M.I.L.E. volunteers at this event every year; last year, I watched our president shave her head there. This year we are going to host our own St. Baldrick’s, and I am proud to say that I will be going bald to raise money for pediatric cancer research!

HCTX: What are you most looking forward to about shaving your head, besides raising money for cancer treatment?
Holly: I am looking forward to being able to help make kids with cancer know that bald is beautiful! They are so strong and they inspire people like me every day! I also think it will be a great test of character for me.

HCTX: You’re a nursing major. What inspired you to pursue a degree in nursing?
Holly: I like to say I chose nursing because I love biology and I love people. Nursing students are really drawn to the idea of personal contact with patients and to taking care of people everyday. I am a happy, loving, energetic, and compassionate person. Once I picked nursing, I knew this is who I was always meant to be

HCTX: What are your plans after college?
Holly: After college I am hoping to get a job either working in pediatrics or in public health nursing. I love working with kids, and my friends say my energy would be perfect for it. I also want to be a family nurse practitioner and work to get disadvantaged communities the health services and care they deserve.

HCTX: Can you give us your favorite anti-cancer slogan or cheer?
Holly: I’d have to say last year’s UT Relay for Life had it right: “Cancer Sucks!” 

Bernice Chuang is a fourth year double majoring in Broadcast Journalism and Communication Studies-Human Relations and doing the Business Foundations Program (aka business minor) at the University of Texas at Austin. Born and raised in Houston, Texas, Bernice is a fan of good country music and yummy barbeque! At UT, Bernice is a resident assistant at an all-female residence hall and currently serves as a senator representing her residence hall, Kinsolving, on the Resident Assistant Association. She also leads a small group bible study for Asian American Campus Ministries and sings with her campus ministries’ a cappella group. When she’s not juggling her various roles and commitments, Bernice enjoys exploring downtown Austin, shopping with her fellow RA staff members, reading books on faith and spirituality, learning how to cook and tackling various dessert recipes, and spending quality time with friends.