This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Most of us may have only lived through the past two decades but through the 90s and the 2000s we have seen our fair share of style. Considering that the holiday season is among us with Christmas very clearly in the air, I thought a trip down holiday fashion memory lane is just what we need! Who better to look back on than our favorite celebrities and TV characters, most of who will make you question what were they thinking? While others may actually inspire your holiday outfit for this year, or give you a great costume idea for that fun holiday party you have just been asked to! Here are a few of the greatest holiday outfits from the 90s to today.

1. 1994- Mariah Carey All I Want for Christmas is You 

If this song is not in your top ten favorite Christmas songs than I don’t know what is! Although nothing can top her vocals on this track, her tight red Christmas outfit on the cover of her album is close! 

2. 1998-NYSNC

All white outfits were a little too popular for boybands in the 90s, clearly they did not follow the no white after Labor Day rule but we will forgive them. How could we not? These boys are shining like Edward Cullen before he even existed.

3. 1999-Spice Girls

The real question is where can I actually get one of these red Christmas robes? The Spice Girls rocked these robes like no other, I mean can Posh look anymore fierce in this picture? I think not. 

4. 2001- Destiny’s Child 8 Days of Christmas

Clearly the all white outfits stuck around for a few years as Destiny’s Child also felt they were perfect for the holidays. Red lips (even red hair for Kelly), your favorite fuzzy scarf, and some white rimmed glasses seemed to be the way to go in the early 2000s. 

5. 2001- Lizzie McGuire

You cannot talk about holiday outfits of our time without mentioning one of the greatest episodes of Lizzie McGuire, the one where she kisses Aaron Carter! If you were in elementary school like me at the time you probably wanted to be wearing Lizzie’s shiny silver metallic pants and red top dancing along with Aaron just as I wanted to. Silver was very much so in style then, and we can’t forget about her red choker necklace (those things were all the rage!). Only in the early 2000s could a guy be wearing a silver puffy winter jacket with matching pants and break the hearts of so many young girls, you go Aaron Carter!

6. 2004- Mean Girls 

Christmas outfits took a whole new form when the Plastics decided to perform in the winter talent show in mean girls. Red leather, exposed mid-drifts and spaghetti straps pretty much sums up the style that these mid 2000 girls were all about. Only the Plastics could pull off making “Jingle Bell Rock” sexy!

7. 2008-Now- Katy Perry and her many holiday outfits!

Who knew Katy Perry loved Christmas so much? From her outfit as host of SNL to her many concert costumes Katy takes the DIY creative route when dressing for the holidays, and because of her crazy personality she can!

8. The 2010s- The Kardashian Christmas Cards

No family dresses more sophisticated for the holidays than the one and only Kardashians! The family does not hold back with their lavish all white or all red outfits and dresses. Form fitting dresses with statement necklaces and high heels along with various dramatic dresses are way too popular for the Kardashians. 

Through the years style has changed, but the holiday spirit has always been live and well within our favorite celebrities and TV characters. Now when you get ready for your holiday party you can look back to some of the greatest outfits of our time for inspiration.