Life > Academics

Grad School, Here I Come! A Guide to Preparing for Your Next Academic Adventure

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Hey, hey, hey! Are you ready to take the next step in your academic journey? If you’re thinking about applying to grad school, you’re in for a wild ride! From test scores to personal statements, there’s a lot to do. But don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. In this article, we’ll give you some tips and tricks to help you prepare for applying to grad school and make the process as smooth as possible.

1. Start early: Don’t wait until the last minute to start thinking about grad school. Start researching programs and schools as soon as possible. This will give you plenty of time to figure out what you want to study and where you want to apply.
  2. Know your deadlines: Each school will have its own set of deadlines, so make sure you know when they are. You don’t want to miss out on an opportunity because you missed a deadline.
  3. Study for your exams: Many grad programs require you to take either the GRE or GMAT. Make sure you study for these exams and give yourself plenty of time to prepare. Take practice tests and use study materials to help you ace these exams.
  4. Get your letters of recommendation: Most grad programs require letters of recommendation from professors or supervisors. Reach out to people who know you well and ask them to write you a letter. Make sure you give them plenty of notice and provide them with any information they need.
  5. Write a killer personal statement: Your personal statement is your chance to tell the admissions committee why you’re a great candidate for their program. Make sure you spend plenty of time on this and get feedback from others.
  6. Research funding opportunities: Grad school can be expensive, so research funding opportunities early on. Look for scholarships, fellowships, and grants that can help you pay for your education.

Applying to grad school can be stressful, but it doesn’t have to be. With the right preparation, you can make the process a whole lot smoother. So, start early, know your deadlines, and good luck!

Vanna Chen

Texas '23

Senior Computer Science Major Sleepy, Funny, Addicted to Kombucha