Good eats, good scenery and good company

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

I don’t know about you my fellow Longhorns, but there is nothing I love more than kicking back and eating an amazing meal while soaking in scenery of an outstanding summer landscape. One of my favorite places in Austin to do just this, which I only recently discovered (thanks to my wise upper classmen roommates) is an area called “Tarrytown. ”

Without doubt, it is the perfect place, right here in ATX, to find delicious meals, a gorgeous view and a welcoming environment perfect for any much needed O-Chem cramming. A select number of cozy restaurants are snuggled right over Lake Austin, each with a dock that gives customers fresh summer air and an opportunity to be as close to the water as possible minus being soaking wet.

Over the past few weeks as the weather has become sunnier and warmer, I have been heading back and forth to this area… and in doing so I have also been restaurant-hopping from establishment to establishment. I’ve checked out places such as Mozart’s Coffee Roasters and Abel’s On The Lake. Here are a few snap shots of the dishes I ordered from various places and a few pictures of the area itself, I hope you enjoy! And if looking at these pictures makes you overwhelmingly hungry, then no worries just hop on a bus or jump in your car and head on over to Tarrytown. Desert and coffee have always been great muses for inspiring impromptu study sessions with friends… right?

Chai latte from Mozart’s Coffee Roasters
Avocado Cheeseburger with crispy onion rings from Abel’s On The Lake…yum!
Hula Hut’s tropical dock…this atmosphere is able to convince even the biggest non-believers (primarily Aggies) into realizing that Lake Austin truly is a tropical paradise.
Go ahead and absorb a beautiful sunset with friends on the dock seating at Abel’s On The Lake with some friends, family and a side of fresh guacamole.
Bernice Chuang is a fourth year double majoring in Broadcast Journalism and Communication Studies-Human Relations and doing the Business Foundations Program (aka business minor) at the University of Texas at Austin. Born and raised in Houston, Texas, Bernice is a fan of good country music and yummy barbeque! At UT, Bernice is a resident assistant at an all-female residence hall and currently serves as a senator representing her residence hall, Kinsolving, on the Resident Assistant Association. She also leads a small group bible study for Asian American Campus Ministries and sings with her campus ministries’ a cappella group. When she’s not juggling her various roles and commitments, Bernice enjoys exploring downtown Austin, shopping with her fellow RA staff members, reading books on faith and spirituality, learning how to cook and tackling various dessert recipes, and spending quality time with friends.