Girl Power: TV Shows with Strong Female Characters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Show: Scandal
Power Player: Olivia Pope
When you consider who the creator is (Shonda Rimes, mastermind behind Grey’s Anatomy and Private Practice), it’s no wonder Scandal has become a huge hit. The show centers around Olivia Pope (played by Kerry Washington), a former White House communications director for the president who starts
her own crisis management firm. Dedicated to preserving the reputations of the nation’s top political figures, she is unable to outrun her own troubled past. Olivia’s dedication to the people she helps, along with the brave way she handles her affair with the president, make her character admirable.

Show: Awkward. (MTV)
Power Player: Jenna Hamilton
Remember how intricate our high school social scenes were back in the day? No one knows the situation better than Jenna Hamilton (played by Ashley Rickards) from Awkward. After receiving an anonymous “carefrontation” letter she suffers an accident that appears to others as a suicide attempt. She
embraces her misfortune and gains a large following on her blog. A messy love triangle between popular Matty and his best friend Jake requires her to deal with some embarrassing situations. Jenna’s fearlessness in the face of awkward high school development and her commitment to staying true to her feelings make her the perfect female role model.

Show: Girls (HBO)
Power Player: The entire cast
Picture it: We finish our stint on the Forty Acres and dive head-first into the land of Real Life. Some of us will experience smooth transitions, others… not so much. For those of scared by the “not so much” category, face those fears alongside the cast of Girls. After aspiring writer Hannah Horvath (Lena Dunham) gets cut off financially by her parents two years out of college, she and her friends Marnie, Jessa, and Shoshanna must navigate their twenties amidst financial woes and romantic issues. This group of friends is relatable- their lives are messy but they accept their mistakes and move on.

Photos:
Kenyatta Giddings is a double major in Broadcast Journalism and Radio-Television-Film at the University of Texas at Austin. She's a former toddler in a tiara from Dallas, Texas and enjoys recording voiceovers for Radio Disney, writing for various publications, and contributing her production and on-camera talents to an array of programs. In her spare time Kenyatta consumes herself with all things vintage shopping, entertainment media, and brunch. Follow her pursuit for fabulosity on Twitter @kenyattapinata and her favorite online magazine @HerCampusTexas.