Four Tips to Save Money this Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

When you think of summer you think of sun, friends, relaxing and fun. But fun comes with a price, a price usually on the expensive side. The thing that keeps you from going to that concert or amusement park is always the same thing: money. These are four helpful and easy tips to save some extra cash in order to participate in your favorite summer festivities. 

Start a savings account
It will be a lot easier to maintain a budget if you have money you can’t touch. It’s also a good go-to account if you have no cash left; kind of like a backup plan. The process of opening a savings account is super simple and will save you a lot of worrying later on.  

Make a Money Goal
Find out how much that weekend at the beach house with your friends would be or how much those shorts at Urban Outfitters are and save up for it. It’s easier to save money when you have a certain reason to. It will urge you to rethink on buying things you don’t really need and give you the focus to avoid your temptations. 

You Don’t Always Have To Go Out…
Staying at home can be just as fun as going out. Plan a movie night with your friends or a karaoke night. Spending quality time with the family is sometimes better than going out to the club (much cheaper too!). A relaxing night in may seem boring now, but you can dream of all the fun activities to come. 

Buy groceries instead of eating out
Eating out at restaurants or getting something at fast food places starts to really add up (this includes vending machines!). Cooking at home is not only cheaper, but it can also be a lot healthier. Think about it this way: The $7 meal you got at Whataburger for lunch can equal to multiple sandwiches for a week. All you need are cold cuts, bread and cheese!
When buying groceries, try buying the generic brand. Most likely it doesn’t taste much different and it’s also about a buck or two cheaper. Also, leftovers can be a good way to save that green, and you won’t have to worry about wasting food.  In the end, all these tips to save money will help you out and you will be very thankful as you kick back on the beach or rock out at a concert. 

Mira Milla is a junior majoring in Journalism at the University of Texas and is currently interning at 'The Society Diaries'. 
Kenyatta Giddings is a double major in Broadcast Journalism and Radio-Television-Film at the University of Texas at Austin. She's a former toddler in a tiara from Dallas, Texas and enjoys recording voiceovers for Radio Disney, writing for various publications, and contributing her production and on-camera talents to an array of programs. In her spare time Kenyatta consumes herself with all things vintage shopping, entertainment media, and brunch. Follow her pursuit for fabulosity on Twitter @kenyattapinata and her favorite online magazine @HerCampusTexas.