This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

While the weather may not feel like it, fall is here, and besides everything pumpkin arriving, Halloween is on its way! This is usually the time of year I start to feel homesick for the state I grew up in (nothing beats a Minnesota fall), and for my family throughout Texas. I often start reminiscing about our family traditions, and I thought it’d be fun to share some of my favorite traditions with you!

Pumpkin Picking

Small Pumpkin In Hand
Anna Thetard / Her Campus

This is probably the most obvious tradition any of us have, and I’m sure you expected to see it on this list. Growing up, going to the pumpkin patch was one of my favorite activities in fall. The leaves would be crunchy beneath my feet while I searched excitedly for the perfect pumpkin. Truthfully as a kid I think one of my favorite things about the pumpkin patch was always getting one of the caramel apple suckers at the checkout. I still think of going to the pumpkin patch when I see those suckers in stores.

Caramel Apples

Is my fall sweet tooth obvious? I loved — still do honestly — caramel apples, especially when they were covered with nuts. However, I loved when my mom would buy the wraps from the grocery store and let us make them at home. It was a sticky, gooey mess, and I’m sure a pain with little kids, but it was always a fun time, and a tasty treat after playing outside in the leaves.

Carving/Painting Pumpkins

For awhile as many kids do, I hated taking the guts out of pumpkins. I hated the slimey, cold, gooey mess that no matter how much I shook my hand wouldn’t come off. For a few years my mom started having us paint our pumpkins. I’m not entirely sure if this was because our parents didn’t want to deal with pumpkin guts either or if we preferred to paint our pumpkins. We used to try those carving stencils too, but I swear they never come out like they’re supposed to. I preferred to do the classic jack o’ lantern on my pumpkin.

Watching Disney Halloween Movies

Halloweentown High, Casper Meets Wendy, The Little Vampire, Mom’s Dating a Vampire, Hocus Pocus. There are so many good Halloween movies out there, and every year I love watching all of my favorite Disney ones that were such a staple in my childhood.

Trick or Treating

The most thought of Halloween tradition there is besides carving pumpkins. Trick or treating was always so much fun, even if in Minnesota we had to fit our costumes over our snowsuits many times. The best was when we were old enough to go without parental supervision. Those were the years we really brought in the candy. While I don’t really get to experience this tradition anymore, buying some favorite treats and having a fun night in with friends and watching our favorite Halloween movies or going to a Halloween party is about just as fun.

Izabella is a transfer student studying journalism at UT with an interest in social justice reporting. She enjoys reading, photography, podcasts, and cuddling with her dog, Jinxx.
Megan Turner is studying Spanish and Political Communication at the University of Texas at Austin. In her free time she enjoys long-distance running, painting, and spending time with friends.