Career

Don’t Forget To Show Yourself Gratitude

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

One thing I have realized is that a lot of us tend to go through life seeking to live in a constant state of success. I’m not saying this is wrong by any means; obviously you need to continuously motivate yourself to grow and win. However, this doesn’t mean that we can’t pause, take time for a breather, and show ourselves gratitude for all we have accomplished in the present moment. I personally am very future-focused, and it wasn’t until recently that I noticed this was straining my mental health. 

There have been too many times when I have accomplished something that I worked hard for, yet I didn’t receive the credit due to the fact that my mindset was, “Okay, now what?” I automatically switched my perspective to what I would work for in the future, which led to me ignoring all of what I had just earned for myself in the present. Some may see this as a great way of thinking, and for a very long time, so did I. I considered myself to be extremely ambitious, and while this is still true, I realized that I should also allow myself time to soak up the moment for all of its glory. You deserve to feel as though your efforts are enough instead of always expecting yourself to continue producing. Your hard work goes unpaid if you don’t allow yourself to embrace your earnings. This can ultimately lead to burnout since you are continuously working, yet never giving yourself the recognition you deserve. 

Even though I think it is crucial to show yourself grace by acknowledging your successes (big and small), it’s also key to make sure that you never become complacent. This idea of celebrating your successes doesn’t mean the job is finished, it is just a way of fueling your mind to continue going. It’s a way of showing yourself kindness because just as you have done so much already, it also shows that you are capable of doing much more. Remember to embrace the benefits of success, be kind to your mind, and always be your own biggest fan. Lastly, always remind yourself that you’re doing amazing! 

Communication and Leadership major @ The University of Texas ‘25 Living, Learning, and Growing 🤍