Debunking 5 Myths About College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Let’s just say it’s not like the movies. 

1. You’re going to find your people immediately 

Many first-year students expect to find their best friends within the first semester of college, but it takes time! It might feel like everyone already found their group, but college is all about growth and change, so don’t feel like you’re alone.

1. Everyone knows what they want to be

I can guarantee that no one has any clue what they are doing in college. In fact, I’m a sophomore, and I’m still confused, but it’s nothing to be ashamed of! You’ll discover a lot about yourself, and the major you begin with might not be the one you end up graduating with!

1. The food is great 

Ummm, let’s just say you’ll need to learn how to cook. ASAP.

1. You will find the love of your life

Yeah, I’m still waiting on this one. The media puts a lot of pressure on finding your high school sweetheart, which is often reflected in college. However, in reality, the dating atmosphere is quite…interesting in college, so don’t feel pressured to find THE ONE. 

1. Professors are intimidating

High school teachers definitely played a part in this myth. However, personally, some of my college professors are much more approachable and allow students to have more independence in the classroom.

Hey y'all! My name is Priya and I am a sophomore biology major at the University of Texas at Austin!