Dangling with Blackbird

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

I’ll have you know—I’m an earrings girl. Preferably dangly ones. And at Her Campus Texas’s birthday bash February 4, I got six pairs of dangly earrings as a raffle prize from Blackbird Austin.

Blackbird Austin, a quirky shop on the North Loop about ten minutes away from campus, sells clothing and accessories for men and women. I have yet to visit the store, but you can see from their blog and Facebook page that this boutique brims with variety and panache. Personally, I’m not as bold as Blackbird in fashion. So I’m glad I received some earrings to review:

The Dangly

I loved these earrings as soon as I saw them. I find them elegant and light, a plus for long earrings. They are longer than I’m used to, and I definitely wouldn’t recommend wearing them (or most pairs in this review) out to a place where you might be dancing and moving around a lot. However, simple equals elegant.

The Circle

This pair is delicate (intricate circle design and thin chains on the bottom) and dark (muted metal tone) at the same time.

The DNA
Seriously, this pair reminds me of slinky DNA. Although these earrings tempt me to twist them and feel them bounce back against my hand every five minutes, this unconventional design can be worn with any casual outfit.

The Heavy
I picked up this pair and immediately felt the weight in my hand. I can do long and dangly, but I am not sure about exceedingly heavy.

The Aztec
I find this pair too strange to wear with my not-so-bold outfits. Are those things shark teeth? Swords? Pointed breadsticks? I’m also not that into gold, so it’s hard to match these with any other jewelry I have on.

The Club
Putting these earrings on makes me want to get up on a table and dance. The geometric tiles will shimmer in the daytime and reflect at night. This is the shortest pair in the bunch.

My overall impression? These earrings would be easily matched with whatever you’re wearing. These look affordable yet far from tacky. Although I don’t approve of every single pair, what they tell me is that Blackbird is creative and loud. 

Bernice Chuang is a fourth year double majoring in Broadcast Journalism and Communication Studies-Human Relations and doing the Business Foundations Program (aka business minor) at the University of Texas at Austin. Born and raised in Houston, Texas, Bernice is a fan of good country music and yummy barbeque! At UT, Bernice is a resident assistant at an all-female residence hall and currently serves as a senator representing her residence hall, Kinsolving, on the Resident Assistant Association. She also leads a small group bible study for Asian American Campus Ministries and sings with her campus ministries’ a cappella group. When she’s not juggling her various roles and commitments, Bernice enjoys exploring downtown Austin, shopping with her fellow RA staff members, reading books on faith and spirituality, learning how to cook and tackling various dessert recipes, and spending quality time with friends.