Dancers Shape: Victory Dance at the Finish Line

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

This is a sponsored post as part of the “Fit for Summer” Challenge, presented by Dancers Shape and Her Campus Texas.

The challenge is done, I can’t believe it! Three work out sessions per week for four weeks! Who were the doubters who said it couldn’t be done? Haha! Ok, maybe I was the only doubter, or maybe I just like being dramatic and pretending that I have overcome something.

Now that I think about it though, I did have a few things to overcome. The most challenging of all was the feeling that I was just too busy with school. Sometimes going to the studio felt like a big chunk of time was being taken away from me. Half that time would be spent waiting for and riding the bus, and then there was preparation and shower time. I would think, “Wow, look at all that time I could’ve spent studying or at least resting!” But I’ve realized that kind of thinking is, for the most part, just a sad mix of sloth and excessive bookishness. It kept me from being thankful for the opportunity to be in a great workout program with great instructors, and it kept me from fully enjoying the experience. But! Even though the ride was bumpy at times (in more ways than one), I pulled through and finished strong!

And now that it’s over, I’m sad that it’s done. No more being proud of going to a workout class. Can’t say things like “This is nothing compared to Dancers Shape!” anymore. The classes have toned me up, improved my endurance, and taught me a bit about a dancer’s posture and movements. Indirectly, they have also reminded me to take in new experiences as they come and not get so caught up in counting the hours of my life. Summer is so close that I can taste it, and I plan to continue challenging myself to exercise and be healthy!

Bernice Chuang is a fourth year double majoring in Broadcast Journalism and Communication Studies-Human Relations and doing the Business Foundations Program (aka business minor) at the University of Texas at Austin. Born and raised in Houston, Texas, Bernice is a fan of good country music and yummy barbeque! At UT, Bernice is a resident assistant at an all-female residence hall and currently serves as a senator representing her residence hall, Kinsolving, on the Resident Assistant Association. She also leads a small group bible study for Asian American Campus Ministries and sings with her campus ministries’ a cappella group. When she’s not juggling her various roles and commitments, Bernice enjoys exploring downtown Austin, shopping with her fellow RA staff members, reading books on faith and spirituality, learning how to cook and tackling various dessert recipes, and spending quality time with friends.