Dancers Shape: The Proof is in the Pain

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

This is a sponsored post as part of the “Fit for Summer” Challenge, presented by Dancers Shape and Her Campus Texas.

Hello lovely readers! We started our first classes at Dancer’s Shape this week. I’m used to only running, so it was definitely different waking up with every muscle of my body in pain! Do you guys enjoy the pain of soreness? I actually… like it! I feel like it’s a good reminder that you worked hard and did something good for your body (or maybe didn’t stretch properly afterward…)!

These classes though, are so fun! Not only are the hip moves and toe-pointing balances fun, but the playlists, which include Blondie, Vampire Weekend, and even Willow Smith (“Whip My Hair”) keep it a blast. Plus the instructors that I’ve gotten to work out with, Jennifer and Toussaint, are basically walking inspiration with their pin-straight posture and graceful arms. Not to mention they’re SUPER friendly. What a dream. The shape workout is a mix of barre, yoga, and pilates, and the repeated reps provide moments when my legs are burning and I almost want to slack off. What keeps you readers going in a workout when you feel like you need an extra push? Repeating a mantra in your head? Inner bitterness toward an ex? For me, it’s knowing how relieved I’ll feel when it’s over, but I’m open to hear what works for you!

Also, I’ve been driving to the classes, but I’m considering riding my bike there to try to go green and save gas. The distance is about 7.6 miles from where I live which is generally double what I usually ride to get to Town Lake. I’ve been considering how tired I may be by the time I get there, or having to bike back after a good workout, but I definitely want to try it. Maybe I can work my way up! Wish me luck! Share your thoughts with me!

My friends and I after running the Austin Cap10K
Bernice Chuang is a fourth year double majoring in Broadcast Journalism and Communication Studies-Human Relations and doing the Business Foundations Program (aka business minor) at the University of Texas at Austin. Born and raised in Houston, Texas, Bernice is a fan of good country music and yummy barbeque! At UT, Bernice is a resident assistant at an all-female residence hall and currently serves as a senator representing her residence hall, Kinsolving, on the Resident Assistant Association. She also leads a small group bible study for Asian American Campus Ministries and sings with her campus ministries’ a cappella group. When she’s not juggling her various roles and commitments, Bernice enjoys exploring downtown Austin, shopping with her fellow RA staff members, reading books on faith and spirituality, learning how to cook and tackling various dessert recipes, and spending quality time with friends.