Cyber Monday: The new and improved Black Friday?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

We’ve all heard the drama surrounding Black Friday: Mothers fighting over children’s toys, people camping out for hours on end, stampedes when stores open their doors. Some collegiettes™ like to participate just for the thrill and to get a good deal while doing so.

However, many of us would prefer to sit in the comfort of our PJs and bargain hunt straight from our computer screens. Besides, who wants to leave Thanksgiving dinner early to go stand out in the cold for the night?

That’s what Cyber Monday is for. The Monday after Black Friday has quickly grown to be one of the biggest online shopping days of the year. Many stores feature online deals that may not be available in-store, as well as free shipping and special gifts from many sites. Whether you’re just looking for a steal or the perfect gift for the holidays, be sure to surf the web on Monday, November 28th.

Be in the know

Stores that have had great deals in the past are Target, Best Buy, Kohl’s, Barnes and Noble, Walmart, and Old Navy.

For all you collegiettes™ with gamer boyfriends, check out GameStop which offered discounts on popular items last year.

In the past, Apple has offered deals on headphones, sound systems, and accessories.

Amazon is a great alternative to in-store Black Friday shopping whereas most of its products are discounted, including books and magazines, which are often marked down more than 80 percent. Be sure to check out its “Cyber Monday Deals Week,” which features awesome prices for the entire week after Thanksgiving.

Seeing as how we are intelligent collegiettes™, we know how to do research. I know it’s the holidays and you’ve probably already shut down your brain, but finding a great deal is worth it, right?

Make sure to follow your favorite stores on Facebook and Twitter to find out about their sales, promo codes, and coupons ahead of time. Once the Black Friday mess is over, stores will begin to pop out Cyber Monday deals over the weekend, so keep an eye out ahead of time for what you’ll want to take advantage of.  Some stores will offer great sales anywhere from a few days before Cyber Monday, to the entire week after Thanksgiving.

Proceed with caution…

While Cyber Monday can be a great way to shop around without physically having to go to 10 different stores, be sure to know what you’re buying. If a deal seems too good to be true, especially on more expensive items, be wary of scams. Also, some items may seem to be steals, but in reality they’re sold for that price all year round. Stick to those items that you are really saving on and splurge later.

We know it’s tempting (is that shirt REALLY only $5?!), but try not to go on a free-for-all spree. You may not realize how much you’re really spending when you don’t have to physically hand over your credit card at the cash register.

Some of you procrastinators may prefer to skip all of the hype and do your shopping later on, but you may be surprised at how getting your gifts early (and for a good price) will save you the stress. Plus, you can avoid the mall masses and do it from the comfort of your own bedroom.

Happy Shopping!

Bernice Chuang is a fourth year double majoring in Broadcast Journalism and Communication Studies-Human Relations and doing the Business Foundations Program (aka business minor) at the University of Texas at Austin. Born and raised in Houston, Texas, Bernice is a fan of good country music and yummy barbeque! At UT, Bernice is a resident assistant at an all-female residence hall and currently serves as a senator representing her residence hall, Kinsolving, on the Resident Assistant Association. She also leads a small group bible study for Asian American Campus Ministries and sings with her campus ministries’ a cappella group. When she’s not juggling her various roles and commitments, Bernice enjoys exploring downtown Austin, shopping with her fellow RA staff members, reading books on faith and spirituality, learning how to cook and tackling various dessert recipes, and spending quality time with friends.