A Collegette’s Guide to Campus Safety

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Walking on campus alone, especially at night, can be daunting for women. Thankfully the university has put several measures in place to make us feel safer. Although there have been some incidents recently on campus that may make people think we don’t go to a very safe school, a few isolated incidents don’t determine the overall safety of our school.

UTPD

The biggest measure implemented on our campus is the UT Police Department. They were founded in 1968 and have worked with the Austin Police Department for many years to ensure that our campus stays as safe as possible. The University Police Department has the same jurisdiction as the Austin Police Department, which means they are able to handle any crime that is committed on campus.

Communication

The university has many measures in place to make sure we get all the information we need in case of an emergency. Every month the emergency system is tested to ensure it is working properly. Students can also receive emergency alerts via text or UTPD’s Facebook and Twitter pages.

SURE Walk

One of the most popular safety features at the university is SURE Walk. This allows students to have someone walk with them anywhere they need to go at night. It runs from 8:30pm-2:00am, and students can have someone walk with them from anywhere on campus to somewhere else on campus, west campus, or north campus. Recently SURE Walk has teamed up with Lyft, and offers free rides to University students from campus to their apartment, including those who live in the Riverside area, a 10 to 15 minute ride from campus at night.

Emergency Call Boxes

One safety measure that kind of blends into the background are the yellow emergency call boxes stationed all around campus. There are 174 of these boxes located in several places around campus. All a student has to do is push the call button and they will be connected with UTPD, and UTPD will know the caller’s location.

Other Safety Tips

Along with these resources, it is important to remember these safety tips to ensure you are as safe as possible on and off campus.

• Avoid walking alone

• Always let someone know where you are or where you are going

• Always lock your door to your car, dorm, or apartment

• BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS

• Never give a stranger your personal information

I am a third year English major hoping to become a book editor. I have been writing for HerCampus for one year, and am excited to work as a Co-Editor this year. I love reading and staying home with my cat, Luna.
Grace is a Philosophy and Economics double major and a Government minor at the University of Texas at Austin. Most of her writing focuses on politics and civic engagement, characteristically intertwining her journalism with op-ed takes (usually nonpartisan; depends who you ask). Grace enjoys reading philosophy, reading and discussing politics, gushing over her dog, and painting in her spare time. As a true economics enthusiast, she also loves graphs.