College Relationships that Beat the Summer Heat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Breaking the Ice With High School Friends

• If you are back in your hometown for the summer, it is likely that many of your high school friends will be hanging around, too. Long distance communication can be hard, so if you feel awkward sending the first text, try hanging out at a popular coffee shop or park where you might run into someone you know.
  • Try hosting an informal event at a local pool, park, or your backyard. Invite your high school buddies and encourage them to wear swag with their school colors or logo. 
  • If you know high school acquaintances that go to UT, seek them out over the summer. If you are lucky like UT Fashion Design major Natalie Poché, you might be meeting your new best friend:
    • “I had a friendship in high school with this boy named Tyler. We weren’t too close and were only friends because of our mutual friends. Fall semester rolls around at UT, and I find out that he was going to be staying in my dorm. I got excited because that means instant friends! Yay! So, as time moved on, my friendship with him has blossomed into the best friendship I’ve ever had.”

Surviving Parental Supervision

• Some parents may chill out about formerly strict rules. UT Radio/Television/Film major Stephanie Donowho was pleasantly surprised when her parents relaxed upon her arrival back home. “They still have to know all of my plans, but they’re more likely to let me stay out late. I think seeing that I’ve managed to keep myself alive for the past year has helped,” says Stephanie.
  • If you have super strict parents, let them know you respect them by doing chores without being asked and sticking to curfew. After a week or two, they may be willing to negotiate for later nights.
  • Make an effort to set aside some of your precious summer freedom for family time, and tell them about your college friends, classes, and experiences. If they see that you are genuinely glad to be home, and grateful for the wonderful opportunity to be a Longhorn, they may begin to see you as an adult instead of a high school kid.
  • Even if you act like an angel, you’ll probably still experience some frustration about coming home. “I do miss the independence,” says Stephanie. “Sometimes, I feel like I fell backward in time.”

Keeping Close with College Connections

• During summer months apart, Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr can be vital to maintaining strong collegiate friendships. Post a funny picture and tag your friends. Record a video with your webcam and leave it on your BFF’s wall. 
  • UT History major Chelsea Purgahn says she plans “Skype dates” with her closest college friends, and takes screenshots to post in her Facebook Skype album.
  • If possible, plan trips to your friends’ houses or meet up in Austin for the weekend. The Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 premiere at Alamo Drafthouse is the perfect excuse to get together and knock back a few butterbeers! 
Bernice Chuang is a fourth year double majoring in Broadcast Journalism and Communication Studies-Human Relations and doing the Business Foundations Program (aka business minor) at the University of Texas at Austin. Born and raised in Houston, Texas, Bernice is a fan of good country music and yummy barbeque! At UT, Bernice is a resident assistant at an all-female residence hall and currently serves as a senator representing her residence hall, Kinsolving, on the Resident Assistant Association. She also leads a small group bible study for Asian American Campus Ministries and sings with her campus ministries’ a cappella group. When she’s not juggling her various roles and commitments, Bernice enjoys exploring downtown Austin, shopping with her fellow RA staff members, reading books on faith and spirituality, learning how to cook and tackling various dessert recipes, and spending quality time with friends.