This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

As a black woman, hair is everything to me. I’m able to shapeshift within it. I can straighten it, curl it, put it in a puffball, pick it out to form an afro, or even add extensions to it. My hair has my culture written all over it. It’s unfortunate that it’s collateral damage to the beauty standards in today’s society. 

The beauty standard is not my hair. The beauty standard is not my skin tone. The beauty standard does not represent me. My hair is looked down upon because it’s not the norm. I feel people stare at me when my hair is in its natural state. Even though I go to UT where everyone has their own style, my hair still seems to be out of the ordinary. It’s deemed as unprofessional and inappropriate. I’m asked the question if my hair is real or even if I have combed it. I don’t let people get too close because they may try to touch it. My hair is MY HAIR!! NO, YOU CAN’T TOUCH IT!  The beauty standards aren’t set to fit black women, and that’s okay because black women are not ordinary. We are able to change our hair and embrace it no matter who or what tells us to hide our identity.

Hi I'm Dajaiya I also go by DJ. I am UT 26 so I'm a freshman yayy. I enjoy writing short stories, spoken word, and empowering messages. I aspire to inspire others and change the world for the better. IG: @_.mulann._