Celebrating Women’s History Month: Honoring Trailblazing Women Who Have Paved the Way for Gender Equality

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

As we celebrate Women’s History Month, it’s important to reflect on the women who have paved the way for us and to continue to empower and uplift the women around us. In the spirit of female empowerment, we’re highlighting the stories of incredible women who have left a lasting impact on the world.

One such woman is Malala Yousafzai, the youngest Nobel Prize laureate and an advocate for girls’ education. Malala was born in Pakistan and grew up in a region where the Taliban had banned girls from attending school. Despite facing threats and violence, Malala continued to speak out and fight for the right to education for all girls. In 2012, she survived a gunshot wound to the head by the Taliban and went on to become a global advocate for girls’ education.

Malala’s advocacy has not only led to increased access to education for girls around the world, but it has also inspired countless young women to speak up and fight for their own rights. Malala’s story is a testament to the power of determination and the impact that one person can make when they refuse to back down in the face of adversity.

Another trailblazer is Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the second woman to serve on the United States Supreme Court. RBG, as she was affectionately known, spent her career fighting for gender equality and women’s rights. She co-founded the Women’s Rights Project at the American Civil Liberties Union and argued several landmark cases before the Supreme Court that helped to secure women’s rights in the United States.

In addition to her legal career, RBG was also a cultural icon and role model for women around the world. Her famous dissenting opinions, which were often written in response to decisions that threatened women’s rights, have become rallying cries for those who continue to fight for gender equality.

In the entertainment industry, we have women like Ava DuVernay, a filmmaker and director who has made history as the first black woman to direct a film nominated for a Best Picture Oscar. DuVernay is known for telling stories that celebrate the lives and experiences of black women and has used her platform to elevate other women in the industry.

Through her work, DuVernay has challenged Hollywood’s narrow view of what stories are worth telling and whose voices are worth hearing. She has demonstrated that diverse perspectives not only make for better storytelling but are also necessary for a more equitable and just world.

These women are just a few examples of the countless women who have fought for gender equality and made significant contributions to society. Women like Mary McLeod Bethune – founder of the National Council of Negro Women and fought for the rights of both black women and children. Women like Shirley Chisholm, the first black woman elected to Congress, who advocated for gender and racial equality throughout her career. Women like Maya Angelou, whose words have inspired generations of women to believe in themselves and their power.

Alright, queens! Let’s keep lifting each other up and breaking down those pesky gender barriers. We’re on a mission to create a world where gender equality isn’t just a pipe dream, but a reality for all women. So let’s keep honoring the badass women who paved the way before us, and inspire the next generation of girl bosses to take the world by storm. Let’s make herstory together!

Vanna Chen

Texas '23

Senior Computer Science Major Sleepy, Funny, Addicted to Kombucha