Bring on the Austin Spook!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

If you are anything like me, Halloween season sparks a desire for spooky adventures. I am a seasonal enthusiast of all things scary during October every year, and my favorite facets of Halloween are the realistic ghost and haunted house stories that the internet loves to circulate. In honor of the upcoming holiday, and the adventurous spirits of many in the Austin community, I have created a list of the must-see haunted locations that spook-seekers should check out! Whether you decide to splurge on a ghost tour of Austin to experience these haunted locales, or decide to gather some friends and explore a bit, I hope these places will bring you the spooky chills you seek this October!

1. The Driskill Hotel

1. The Driskill Hotel is notorious for its haunted atmosphere, and remains one of the most revered Austin historical landmarks. Built in 1886, many people who have visited the hotel say they have felt something brush against their bodies while walking through the halls. Room 525, thought to be the most haunted room in the hotel, was the location of two brides’ suicides, and residents of the room have experienced their presence on many occasions. Two other presences in the hotel are a young girl, and the spirit of Driskill himself. If you would like to experience the spooky atmosphere of the Driskill Hotel, you can enjoy a meal there, wander through the lobby, or stay the night in one of the rooms.

2. The Shoal Creek Indian Massacre Site 

1. In 1839, after being widely warned against it, a man by the name of Gideon White constructed his new home along the banks of Shoal Creek. Several years later, he was reportedly murdered in his home by several Native Americans. Following his death, both the body of White, as well as the bodies of many other individuals (who died of diseases) buried in shallow graves around his home, were encountered. Currently, the city of Austin bans visitors from the area after 10p.m. daily, reportedly due to the sheer number of mysterious happenings that occur after dark. However, since the sun currently sets around 7p.m., there is still plenty of time to experience the haunted nature of this spot either during the day (as it is located on a walking trail) or during the early hours of the night.

3. Buffalo Billiards

1. Since opening its doors in 1861, the building that now hosts Buffalo Billiards was first used as the Missouri Hotel, which hosted many cowboys as they passed through town. There is also a rumor that, for a period of time, the building housed a brothel. Because of the long and storied history of the building, it is not shocking that it is regarded as one of the haunted buildings in Austin. The most notorious spirit haunting the building, a man named Fred, has been known to push stools around, play practical jokes on the people in the building, and partake in drinks after the patrons have left for the night. He was even caught on tape speaking when an reporting crew visited Buffalo Billiards to interview the staff about the reported hauntings in the building. In addition to Fred, there is supposedly a woman in a white gown who stares out the window of the building, and at times, can be seen standing atop the staircase that leads to the upstairs of what is now Buffalo Billiards. Have any interest in seeing Fred or the woman dressed in white with your own two eyes? Make a stop at Buffalo Billiards on Sixth Street to play some pool and grab a drink, and see if they pay you a visit!

4. Oakwood Cemetery 

1. Housing the tombs of over 23,000 people, the 40 acre cemetery is among the spookiest cemeteries in the state of Texas. People have reported seeing orbs of light at night floating about the cemetery grounds, as well as the playful shrieks and laughter of children running among the headstones. Founded in 1839, this is a location for the ghost enthusiasts among you, although you will have to peer in from outside the gates at nighttime, when the grounds are closed to visitors.

Hopefully these four haunted locations in Austin are interesting to you and can inspire some fun, mildly frightening adventures before Halloween arrives (or after if you are still in the spooky spirit).

Megan Turner is studying Spanish and Political Communication at the University of Texas at Austin. In her free time she enjoys long-distance running, painting, and spending time with friends.