This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

If you love to read, haven’t read since middle school, or if opening a book scares you, the words on these pages could change your life like they did mine.

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

I never cried more than when I was in a High School classroom where I finished this book for the first time. 

Liesel’s story is magnificent and teaches you tenderness. However, the thing about this novel is that the Narrator is Death. Once you start understanding Death, you sympathize with his perspective on humans and how that perspective might change.

Life starts to look completely different after finishing this novel.

Beach Read By Emily Henry

Romance is not just fluff! I repeat, Romance is not just fluff! 

When you open up this romance book (or anything written by Emily Henry), expect to find a compelling love story that explores women and the beauty of your own mind. 

When I first read this novel, I felt like my insecurities were laid out on the pages for everyone to read, but that is what I needed to understand the importance of feeling angry and hurt and then how to forgive.

Normal People By Sally Rooney

*Beware of horrible punctuation in this novel*

Even though Sally Rooney writes without quotation marks in this heartbreaking novel, she writes the most intelligently emotional book ever. 

I have never thought about every single relationship I have had so thoroughly. If you have regrets and want to come to terms with each of them, this book is for you! Rooney writes two characters, damaged in two ways that encourage communication between all your relationships.

Pride and prejudice by Jane Austen

Have you ever felt that you were a little too much for people?

Well Elizabeth Bennett is the character that makes you say “screw it” it”s okay be bold, a little stubborn, and opinionated.

Austen not only writes beautifully and intelligently but she comments about women and society. Above all else Austen asks a question about what integrity really is, and at its core integrity is about being honest with yourself.

Hi! My name is Sophia Westwood (she/her), and I'm a writer this year with Her Campus. I couldn't be more happy! I'm a Freshman at The University of Texas at Austin but my hometown is Dallas, TX. I'm a Journalism major and a Law, Justice, and Society minor and I plan on going to law school after undergrad. A few things about me; I'm a Sagittarius, I love to read any and all books, I feel like I have seen every movie and show possible, flowers make me happy, and I have an addiction to Diet Dr Pepper. I also have a passion for writing about politics, books, and about those who are making an impact in our daily lives and so much more. I hope you enjoy reading my work!!