Beautiful Bracelets on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Bracelets, bracelets, bracelets. Right now, it’s hard to find anyone who doesn’t have at least one bracelet on.

The best thing about the bracelets trend: they don’t need to match anything you are wearing! A lot of girls have been wearing the friendship bracelets as seen in the picture above.

Most of these bracelets are made out of embroidery string that can be found at Hobby Lobby and Michael’s stores. Patterns and designs can be found online, so there’s really no need to buy a book.

The other bracelets shown in the above photo are made out of bandannas that are simple to make: Just get a bandanna and cut it into thin strips, then twist the strips and tie one your wrist, cutting the excess off.

If string bracelets aren’t your style, don’t worry. Leather bracelets are also in right now, and a few of the merchants who set up shop on 23rd Street make them at a price affordable for any college student.

My personal favorites are the clasp bracelets made from recycled copper or coins. If you have a gap in your class schedule, I fully suggest heading to the Drag to see what the handcrafted one-of-a-kind pieces the market offers – it doesn’t get much better than that!

Bernice Chuang is a fourth year double majoring in Broadcast Journalism and Communication Studies-Human Relations and doing the Business Foundations Program (aka business minor) at the University of Texas at Austin. Born and raised in Houston, Texas, Bernice is a fan of good country music and yummy barbeque! At UT, Bernice is a resident assistant at an all-female residence hall and currently serves as a senator representing her residence hall, Kinsolving, on the Resident Assistant Association. She also leads a small group bible study for Asian American Campus Ministries and sings with her campus ministries’ a cappella group. When she’s not juggling her various roles and commitments, Bernice enjoys exploring downtown Austin, shopping with her fellow RA staff members, reading books on faith and spirituality, learning how to cook and tackling various dessert recipes, and spending quality time with friends.