Amelia Kramer-Laughing Group Of Girls In Front Of Purple Mural
Amelia Kramer / Her Campus
Life > Experiences

A Letter To My Fall 2021 Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Dear Fall 2021,

You were my favorite semester yet. I still have another two to go, but I want to take this time to appreciate you, what you gave me and made me feel. 

Going back to school in person was a major shift. My spring semester in 2019 got cut short when I felt at the peak of my freshman year and was finally getting into a comfortable routine. My sophomore year consisted of me staying at my apartment 85% of the time. I was near campus, but couldn’t experience it the same way I did freshman year. That feeling of walking to class, rushing so you’re not late, meeting new people and friends around campus was taken away from me. Regardless, it was still a great year and I got to be surrounded by the best roommates and friends who would make everything five times better than it actually was. The experience was just different.

Because of this, going into my junior year felt less familiar. I had grown used to a certain routine and way of doing things. I had to become accustomed to a fully online environment and now I had to transition back? I was hesitant and nervous, but this fall semester completely surprised me.

I had some interesting classes with amazing professors. Sure, there were two classes that challenged me and made my life miserable (just a tad dramatic), but my other classes were fascinating and I’m glad I took them.

The thing I want to highlight the most is the people I met and grew closer to. I joined three incredible student organizations during the Covid-year. All of them had an online setting and I got to meet almost all of them in person this semester. The feeling of knowing someone through a screen and finally seeing them in front of you was strange. 

Overall, I got to live with some of my closest friends here at UT, make new friends, meet TONS of people everywhere I went, and had a great time doing SO much. This semester made me step out of my comfort zone and I’m grateful for that. I’m looking forward to what spring has in store for me. Thank you again for making me feel loved, supported, and bringing the people I have into my life.

Sincerely,

Alexis

Alexis is a senior journalism major and business minor at the University of Texas At Austin. She currently serves as a writer and an associate editor for Her Campus Texas and enjoys creating content about lifestyle, pop culture, and food. Instagram: @ave_lexi