‘A Court Of Thorns And Roses’ Characters If They Were Midnights Songs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

If there is anyone that has a way of telling stories that can be so universal, it’s Taylor Swift. Her songs tend to resonate with us in ways that allow us to personify her iconic lyrics and songs. 

Midnights is one of those albums that can relate to so many stories and characters, but there was one cast of characters I kept coming back to while listening to the album. The A Court of Thorns and Roses series by Sarah J. Maas introduces characters that are rich in the same complexities that Swift brings with her lyrics in Midnights. Here is a list of characters from A Court Of Thorns and Roses and the Midnights songs I think they personify:

Mor

As a character who has withstood a great amount of humiliation and trauma at the hands of people who are supposed to love her, the Midnights song that is most fitting for Mor is “Maroon.” The lyrics in the song are suggestive of a toxic relationship that completely shifts her perception of the person she is in love with. This same narrative can be applied to Mor’s relationship with her family and the people she was forced to surround herself with.

Elain 

The song that would best suit Elain would be “Glitch.” This song details an unexpected relationship that comes with unexplainable emotions and behavior, making her feel irrational. This also results in her wanting to be around that person all the time which she refers to when she says “I’m fastening myself to you with a stitch.” 

I think this can describe how Elain tends to act and feel after the events that unfold in the second book of the series. Her relentless rejection of all that comes with the life she is destined to live in exchange for unlikely friendships is something that can be tied to Swift’s lyrics in “Glitch.” 

Feyre

While this was a hard one because there are so many songs from this album that can describe Feyre throughout the series, I think Swift’s “Midnight Rain,” is what best describes her. This song describes a girl who always wanted more out of life and had to change and grow because of it, which couldn’t be more descriptive of Feyre’s character if it tried. 

Amren

“Don’t get sad get even” sounds like something Amren would say, but in fact its lyrics from Swift’s “Vigilante Shit.” From the lyrics to the ominous melodies and rhythms, this song is Amren all the way. The song gives off the same otherworldly presence as the character and can speak to Amren’s strong and independent, and lethal nature. 

Cassian

While this character has his serious and difficult moments, he doesn’t let them overcome him and he carries a great deal of comedic relief throughout the series. Having had a strenuous childhood, Cassian was always made to feel less than and unworthy; but by the end of the series, he learns his worth. Therefore, “Bejeweled” would be the song that is best descriptive of Cassian. 

Nesta

Having to fight through a great war and come out on the winning side, only to have to fight to regain her worth and finally accept the love she thought she didn’t deserve feels a lot like “The Great War” to me. The song’s lyrics do an excellent job of portraying the internal conflicts we face when it comes to love and relationships, especially if we’ve experienced past trauma. For that reason, this song is a great depiction of Nesta’s character. 

Lucien

While there aren’t a lot of songs on this album that can relate to Lucien’s specific situations, I think the lyrics in “Sweet Nothing” have the closest connection to his character. Lyrics like “all that you ever wanted from me was sweet nothing,” and “the voices that implore/ ‘You should be doing more’/ To you I can admit/ That I’m just too soft for all of it” can be perceived as unrequited love, which ultimately becomes Lucien’s greatest conflict towards the series progresses.

Azriel

This song might hold a bit of irony for him but “Would’ve, Could’ve, Should’ve” is the song that I think of when I think of Azriel. After growing up in an abusive household and suffering significant pain at the hands of his stepfamily, Azriel grows to be a quiet and reserved soldier still haunted by the ghosts of his childhood. Lyrics like “and now that I’m grown, I’m scared of ghosts/ Memories feel like weapons/ And now that I know, I wish you’d left me wondering” reflects Azriel’s character in a way that is haunting yet the upbeat rhythms give it an added uplifting tone. 

Rhysand

I might have saved the best for last here with this character but the truth is that Midnights feels like it was made for Rhysands character. Multiple songs on this album fit the mold when it comes to him and it was difficult to choose just one, so I didn’t. While there are many I think that there are three particular songs that can best reflect Rhysands journey. 

Labyrinth” is perfect for describing everything he went through under the mountain, with the pain and torture he endured, and the love he finds after it. I like to think of “Karma” as a song Rhysand would dedicate to Tamlin’s character, who sadly didn’t make it onto this list. And lastly, “Mastermind,” for all the ways Rhysand persisted against all odds to write his story and end up with the love of his life.

Ilyanna Santos is an aspiring writer and journalist from Austin, Texas. She is currently studying journalism at the University of Texas at Austin and is the Marketing and Social Media Director for Shamari Realty. In her free time, she enjoys reading, writing, and having a good cup of tea.