6 Ways to Relieve Stress Before Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

It’s crunch time Collegiettes! With finals right around the corner, the increased amount of stress comes as no surprise. On top of wanting to ace that exam, you have essays and multiple readings that need to be done. Although it may seem like there isn’t enough time to get all of your school work finished (or for a social life!) it will all come to a relieving end and you won’t have to scrounge around the PCL for a spot to study (unless you’re taking summer classes…you go girl!). In the meantime, here are a few stress relieving tips to suffice the rest of the semester and the week we’ve been dreading: finals week.

Prioritize and Organize
            Figure out when your next paper is due or when your exam is scheduled and write it down in a planner. This will help you organize your thoughts and actually seeing upcoming due dates and tasks will motivate you and remind you to get it done. Finding out exactly what you need done ahead of time can help lower stress. It will also ensure that you spend your time doing things that are most important. Cross out the tasks one by one as you complete them. Crossing it out with a pen will give you a sense of accomplishment.

Listen to Music
            Listening to the right music can help you get through stress and anxiety. Music can initiate the relaxation response; that’s why many people listen to tunes while meditating. Everyone’s taste in music varies. But one thing is for sure: it can change up your whole mood.
           Here are some of Her Campus Texas’ recommendations:
Felicia Fitzpatrick: “Hey Now!” from the Lizzie McGuire Movie
Kari Kimball: “Eye of the Tiger” by Survivor (to get pumped for an exam!)

Exercise and Yoga
            Either one would be great! Your body releases certain hormones like endorphins (the same hormone responsible for feelings like happiness) that make you feel good and energized after a workout. It can also decrease cortisol: the hormones responsible for stress!  And yes, walking down the drag or around campus counts as some sort of exercise.
“Working out is a way for me to release all my frustrations,” freshman Krista Grant said.
If you’re not into hitting the gym, you can try yoga. Deep breathing during yoga triggers a sense of well-being to the body. It can give you complete relaxation from head to toe. I would recommend Black Swan Yoga (you pay by donation).

Napping
            Being in college means crazy sleep schedules, so catching  Z’s might be exactly what you need. Your body can’t function properly without the right amount of sleep. Sleep deprivation can impair motivation, performance and reaction time! You’re supposed to have about seven or eight hours of sleep every night, but pulling all-nighters to finish a project or to study for a test can easily get in the way of that.
            After a good 30-minute nap you will be feeling more rejuvenated and will be able to take on anything!
“It’s so relaxing and it makes me feel more energized after. I nap about every day,” sophomore Makayla Kinney said.

Get Some Time to Yourself
            Spending some time alone can give you a chance to discover yourself. This is when you can actually do whatever you want, whenever you want without any pressure or restraints from your peers. It’s a way to balance and re-evaluate everything in your life.
            You can write in a journal, read a book, take a long bubble bath, sing at the top of your lungs and, most importantly, think. You don’t have to limit your time alone in the four walls of your room, though. You can always take a stroll at Zilker Park or attend a dance class you’ve been dying to try.

Socialize with your Friends
            After some alone time, get out and have some fun! Get with a couple of your girlfriends and watch a movie or grab some lunch. This will get your mind off the things you’re stressing about and will give you the opportunity to just be with good company and experience some good laughs. A strong support system will steer you away from the negativity stress brings.

Mira Milla is a junior majoring in Journalism at the University of Texas and is currently interning at 'The Society Diaries'. 
Kenyatta Giddings is a double major in Broadcast Journalism and Radio-Television-Film at the University of Texas at Austin. She's a former toddler in a tiara from Dallas, Texas and enjoys recording voiceovers for Radio Disney, writing for various publications, and contributing her production and on-camera talents to an array of programs. In her spare time Kenyatta consumes herself with all things vintage shopping, entertainment media, and brunch. Follow her pursuit for fabulosity on Twitter @kenyattapinata and her favorite online magazine @HerCampusTexas.