5 Things I Did As A Kid At South Padre Island and Still Do

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

I’ve always gone on my annual beach trip with my family. It’s the one thing every summer I’m always looking forward to. I feel really lucky that my hometown is in South Texas where I only need to drive for an hour to get to the SPI beach. There are a plethora of things to do, but these are the staples of what I do in one week with my family at SPI. These are essential things I’ve always done ever since I was a kid. I don’t think I’ll ever stop doing these activities. I’ll probably be sixty years old and still crab hunting with my grandchildren!

Crab Hunting

I feel like this is such a universal experience at SPI. If you ever visit and are staying the night, then it is a must-do. It’s a little bit of a rite of passage in my eyes at least. The best time to go crab hunting is definitely at night and I still do this today with my little sister! 

Fly Kites

I love flying kites at the beach. There’s something so peaceful about it. Normally, I like to buy a kite from one of the vendors on the beach since there are so many options.

Visit the Sea Turtles 

As a child, my family and I would visit Sea Turtle, Inc which is a turtle rehabilitation center! Such a great place and very educational about the life of sea turtles. I love this place so much! It’s a great place to spend time with friends and family. 

Rent a golf cart

Since this is an island, there is one way to get around if you don’t want to take your car and that’s renting a golf cart! I have such great memories of my grandfather and me driving around the island together. 

Eat at The Meatball Cafe

I’ve been coming here since they opened! It’s authentic Italian food where everything is made from scratch. My favorite item on the menu is Mamma Mia’s Ravioli. I highly recommend it if you love Italian food.

Madisyn Treviño (she/her) is a Rhetoric and Writing major and is serving her first year at Her Campus at Texas. She is passionate about writing, women's rights, Taylor Swift, rom-coms, discussing intersectionality, and 90s fashion. You can find more of her work on the student-run radio station, KVRX, website. IG: @0hmadi