5 Empowering Halloween Costumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Thanks to Regina George, there has been a parade of “slutty bunnies” on Halloween since 2006. And you know what, that is totally cool. So cool, I’m wearing three jackets over here. Halloween is the time that you can truly be anything you want. But what about the other girls? The girls who A) may have just moved here from Africa but aren’t feeling the “ex-wife” look, B) may not want to expose their assets, C) may not like bunnies. Here’s five empowering (and cute!) women you can dress up as this Halloween and start your own parade around West Campus and 6th Street.

Holly Golightly:

Let’s talk about the epitome of class. Audrey Hepburn is a fashion icon, so channel your inner-Audrey as you dress up. All you need for this costume is that little black dress in your closet, pearls, big black sunglasses, black gloves, and to always have a pastry in hand. That’s right, I just gave you an excuse to eat pastries all night. Serenade a boy with Moon River and you’ll be kissing in the rain by the end of the night.

Rosie the Riveter:

Blue button up shirt? Check. Red bandana? Check. Muscles? Check. We’ve seen you hitting up those weight machines at Gregory, so why not flex those muscles all night and impress all of your friends? Besides having an intense right bicep, you have to have that bad-ass attitude. Rosie represents all those women that picked up jobs once the fellas left to fight in the war. Sorry to go all history class on you, but it’s important for you to know why your motto for the night is “We can do it!”

Amelia Earhart:

We have a feeling Amelia would have chanted the lyrics High School Musical’s “Breaking Free” as a pump-up jam before her flights. “Soarin’, flyin’, there’s not a star in heaven that we can’t reach!” Talk about a fearless flier. To recreate Earhart’s look, grab a leather jacket, khakis, and a scarf. Bonus points if you find one of those aviation hats with the adorable ear flaps.

Billie Holiday:

Doesn’t a fresh gardenia in your hair, strand of rhinestones/pearls, and 1940s evening gown sound delightful? Doesn’t singing the song “I’ll Be Seeing You” for Noah and Allie to dance to in the street in The Notebook sound delightful as well? I thought so. Lady Day had a rich voice and connected with women everywhere through her songs. And who doesn’t remember Mercedes imitating her for the ANTM Cycle 2 photo shoot?

Diana Ross:

Calling all divas! If you’ve got curly hair– wear it natural! If you have straight hair– time to fro it up! Grab your lavish earrings and something slinky and you will be serving up some 1970s realness. Diana was all about being fierce and fabulous so you know you better werk! It’s all about that star power. 

No matter what costume you wear, the most important thing is to rock it with confidence!

Kenyatta Giddings is a double major in Broadcast Journalism and Radio-Television-Film at the University of Texas at Austin. She's a former toddler in a tiara from Dallas, Texas and enjoys recording voiceovers for Radio Disney, writing for various publications, and contributing her production and on-camera talents to an array of programs. In her spare time Kenyatta consumes herself with all things vintage shopping, entertainment media, and brunch. Follow her pursuit for fabulosity on Twitter @kenyattapinata and her favorite online magazine @HerCampusTexas.