Style > Beauty

4 Easy-To-Use Makeup Products For Beginners (As Recommended By A Beginner)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

As someone who just started doing their own makeup last year, it’s safe to say that I am definitely a newcomer to the beauty game. But over the past few months, I’ve been able to put together an effective “no-makeup” makeup routine comprised of easy-to-use products, perfect for any beginner.

If you’re a makeup newbie looking to get started but not quite sure where to begin, here are 4 of my favorite makeup must-haves to help jumpstart your beauty routine.

L.A. Girl’s Pro Conceal HD Concealer

If you’re like me and struggle with dark circles (or any unwanted discoloration), L.A. Girl’s Pro Conceal H.D. Concealer can help. This lightweight product provides full coverage, blends easily, and comes in 43 shades: 30 for concealing, ten for color correcting, and three for highlighting.

I recommend buying both the color corrector and concealer, as the color corrector (which you apply first) uses color theory to help neutralize pigmentation; the concealer is then layered on top to finish off the coverage job by matching your skin tone. Need help choosing a concealer and color corrector shade? Click here!

Maybelline Great Lash Clear Mascara

I’ve always been notorious for my shaky hands, which can be problematic when applying mascara. But not when I use Maybelline’s Great Lash Clear Mascara!

This product goes on and dries clear, making it the perfect “uh-oh” proof tool. It’s also great for separating and lengthening your lashes for an enhanced, natural look.

R.E.M. Beauty Interstellar Highlighter Topper

Although the original purpose of the highlighter is to accentuate your features, it also doubles as a great eyeshadow!

I always like to take a bit of R.E.M. Beauty’s Interstellar Highlighter Topper (the shiniest of them all) and apply it to the inner corner of my eyes for a shimmery pop!

R.E.M. Beauty On Your Collar Plumping Lip Gloss

Last but certainly not least, if you want your lips to have an out-of-this-world glow, look no further! R.E.M. Beauty’s On Your Collar Plumping Lip Gloss will give your lips a glossy, sparkly finish that doesn’t feel sticky.

Plus, the product also gives off a soothing tingling sensation that lets you know it’s doing its plumping job, along with a pleasing vanilla scent you won’t be able to get enough of!

Ashley Coleman is an undergraduate student studying journalism at the University of Texas at Austin. She is most passionate about media representation and all things related to pop culture. When she’s not writing, you can find her learning a new dance, fangirling over Zendaya, or making a quick trip to the nearest boba shop.