3 Tips To Help Avoid Homesickness In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

The beginning of the school year can be tough. It can be hard to adjust to a new class schedule and a new living space, especially if you’re a first-year. While it may be hard now, don’t worry! We all get a little homesick from time to time and that’s perfectly fine. So whether you’re a freshman navigating college for the first time or a busy senior who can’t come home often, here are some things that have helped me combat homesickness during my time at UT.

Call your family

This is self-explanatory, but calling your family regularly can help ease feelings of homesickness. If you have a busy schedule, try planning a time to call each week. Plus, I bet your family would love to hear from you while you’re at college!

Plan your trips home in advance

Sometimes, it can be overwhelming not knowing when you’ll be at home again. If this stresses you out, I recommend planning specific dates when you’ll visit home. By planning out your trips, you’ll know exactly when you’ll be able to see your hometown family, friends, and pets again. Also, planning in advance can be super helpful if you have a hectic schedule (like me)!

Bring meaningful Items from home

Whether it’s a blanket or a family photo, bringing items you associate with home can help make your new dorm or apartment more comforting. Whenever I start missing home, I use my favorite things that remind me of being at home like a special mug my parents got me. Having a little piece of home with you at school can make being away easier.

I hope these tips help make your transition into the school year more manageable! Remember that while it may be difficult now, it will get better over time. You got this!

Sarah is a second-year journalism student at the University of Texas at Austin and serves as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Texas. She loves fashion, beauty, and music and enjoys sharing these interests in her writing.